English for professionals: C2 Proficiency (Cambridge English: Proficiency, CPE )
Time: 10:00 - 14:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Check your level
Course Code: BCPE02
Duration: 8 sessions (over 8 weeks)
What is the course about?
You will refine your English skills to become a fully competent English language user in all situations and prepare for all four parts of the exam. You will study demanding subjects, read, write and speak about them as well as listen to in depth accounts of them. You will work with both fiction and non-fiction books, journals, newspapers and manuals; write a variety of text types, such as essays, reports and reviews; follow and understand a range of spoken materials, such as lectures, speeches and interviews; take part in challenging conversations to sustain an interaction, exchange ideas, express and justify opinions, speculate and reach a decision through negotiation.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We will cover all parts of the qualification and develop your English including for example:
• discussing, reading and writing about complex subjects appropriate to postgraduate and PhD programmes and professional work situations
• negotiating and persuading effectively at management level in business settings
• responding to the main ideas of complex pieces of writing
• identifying detail, opinion, attitude, tone, purpose, main idea, implication and how a text is organised
•recognising and using subtle differences of meaning and idiom
• talking about complex or sensitive issues, and dealing confidently with difficult questions
• writing essays, reports, articles or reviews which develop ideas on a topic, make an appropriate impression on the reader and achieve their purpose
• listening for the gist of a whole conversation or talk, for a particular detail or for the speaker’s opinion e.g. in work situation, at university or in everyday life.
• speaking with appropriate pronunciation, intonation, speed of delivery.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• identify what you need to do well in order to succeed in the CPE exam
• succeed in all four parts of the exam
• discuss read and write about complex subjects appropriate to postgraduate and PhD programmes and professional work situations
•negotiate and persuade effectively at management level in business settings
• respond to the main ideas of complex pieces of writing
• identify detail, opinion, attitude, tone, purpose, main ideas and implication of a text and how it is organised
•recognise and use subtle differences of meaning and idiom
• talk about complex or sensitive issues, and deal confidently with difficult questions
• write essays, reports, articles or reviews which develop ideas on a topic, make an appropriate impression on the reader and achieve their purpose
• listen for the gist of a whole conversation or talk, for a particular detail or for the speaker’s opinion e.g. in a work situation, at university or in everyday life.
• speak with appropriate pronunciation, intonation, speed of delivery.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is for L2+ students (C2). It ideal if you are a post-graduate or working as a professional. You will already be a highly competent English language user.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks, with guidance from the tutor. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs but you should bring a pen, paper and folder to class. You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online. Please note, you need to do the exam directly at one of the 19 Cambridge approved centres in London.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The immediate follow on course is this:
• English for professionals: becoming fully proficient
However, we have many non-ESOL courses you could do before, during or after this course. These include:
• Develop your writing for inside and outside the workplace: how to make your writing organised, clear and to the point (level 2)
• Develop your reading and writing for inside and outside the workplace: read well, write well - analysing, evaluating and making decisions about what you read (level 2)
• Workplace skills: getting your point across (level 2)
• Workplace skills: how to work effectively with other people and be a team person
• Workplace skills: communicating, negotiating and influencing (level 2)
• Effective decision-making for new managers: analysing, problem-solving problem-preventing, strategic thinking.