English for professionals: C2 Proficiency (Cambridge English: Proficiency, CPE )
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
You need to do a pre-course assessment. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 8078 0489 for a face-to-face assessment or click the Start Assessment button on this page. Log on with your email address (not name).
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Check your level
- Course Code: BCPE02
- Dates: 25/01/24 - 21/03/24
- Time: 18:00 - 21:00
- Taught: Thu, Evening
- Duration: 9 sessions (over 9 weeks)
- Location: Online
Course Code: BCPE02
Duration: 9 sessions (over 9 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
You will refine your English skills to become a fully competent English language user in all situations and prepare for all four parts of the exam. You will study demanding subjects, read, write and speak about them as well as listen to in depth accounts of them. You will work with both fiction and non-fiction books, journals, newspapers and manuals; write a variety of text types, such as essays, reports and reviews; follow and understand a range of spoken materials, such as lectures, speeches and interviews; take part in challenging conversations to sustain an interaction, exchange ideas, express and justify opinions, speculate and reach a decision through negotiation.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We will cover all parts of the qualification and develop your English including for example:
• discussing, reading and writing about complex subjects appropriate to postgraduate and PhD programmes and professional work situations
• negotiating and persuading effectively at management level in business settings
• responding to the main ideas of complex pieces of writing
• identifying detail, opinion, attitude, tone, purpose, main idea, implication and how a text is organised
•recognising and using subtle differences of meaning and idiom
• talking about complex or sensitive issues, and dealing confidently with difficult questions
• writing essays, reports, articles or reviews which develop ideas on a topic, make an appropriate impression on the reader and achieve their purpose
• listening for the gist of a whole conversation or talk, for a particular detail or for the speaker’s opinion e.g. in work situation, at university or in everyday life.
• speaking with appropriate pronunciation, intonation, speed of delivery.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• identify what you need to do well in order to succeed in the CPE exam
• succeed in all four parts of the exam
• discuss read and write about complex subjects appropriate to postgraduate and PhD programmes and professional work situations
•negotiate and persuade effectively at management level in business settings
• respond to the main ideas of complex pieces of writing
• identify detail, opinion, attitude, tone, purpose, main ideas and implication of a text and how it is organised
•recognise and use subtle differences of meaning and idiom
• talk about complex or sensitive issues, and deal confidently with difficult questions
• write essays, reports, articles or reviews which develop ideas on a topic, make an appropriate impression on the reader and achieve their purpose
• listen for the gist of a whole conversation or talk, for a particular detail or for the speaker’s opinion e.g. in a work situation, at university or in everyday life.
• speak with appropriate pronunciation, intonation, speed of delivery.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is for L2+ students (C2). It ideal if you are a post-graduate or working as a professional. You will already be a highly competent English language user.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks, with guidance from the tutor. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs but you should bring a pen, paper and folder to class. You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online. Please note, you need to do the exam directly at one of the 19 Cambridge approved centres in London.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, during or after this course. These include:
• English for professionals: C1 Advanced (Cambridge English Advanced, CAE)
• ESOL level 2 (speaking and listening)
• ESOL level 2 (reading and writing)
• A mile in my shoes: how to tell a story (level 1-2)
• Business English communication skills: from negotiating to report writing to presentations (level 2)
• Business English communication skills: communicating, managing, selling (level 2)
• Business English communication skills: finding the right word in business (advanced)
• ESOL: Develop your writing: grammar, vocabulary, expression (advanced)
• Grammar in practice: advanced (level 2+)
You can also do classes in the maths and digital skills areas. These include:
• Communication skills for business: how to be clear, concise and organised in your writing (level 2)
• Core management skills: leading and building teams (introduction)
• Communication skills: develop your English for social media - blogs, vlogs and TikTok (level 1-level 2)
• Communication skills: develop your English for social media - podcasting (level 1-level 2)
• Communication skills: develop your English for social media - website writing (level 1-level 2)
• Develop your confidence in writing: sentences, grammar and punctuation in everyday writing (level 1-2)
• Becoming data literate: how to understand and interpret the data all around you (level 1-2)
• Becoming data literate: how to present data for work or study (level 2)
• Becoming data literate: understanding data and how it is presented from pie-charts to bell curves (level 2)
• Maths for business: the essential skills to run a company and make a profit (level 1-2)
• Maths for business with Excel: the essential skills to run a company and make a profit (level 1-2)
For more information, talk with your tutor or contact email@example.com / 020 4582 0423.