ESOL and singing: sing your way to better English (entry 3 - level 2)
Time: 18:00 - 20:30
Location: KS - Keeley Street
Before this course, you need to do a pre-course assessment. Contact email@example.com / 020 7492 2511 or click the Start Assessment button on this page. Log on with your email address (not name). Use Chrome if possible.
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit). For more information click here
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Check your level
Course Code: ESSI01
Duration: 9 sessions (over 9 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course will help you improve your English through your enjoyment of songs and singing. You will study a variety of English songs and use these to develop your vocabulary, your understanding of general meaning, grammar skills and listening for details. You will have an opportunity to sing the songs to help your fluency. The course is particularly good for anyone who wants to improve their pronunciation including rhythm and stress.
What will we cover?
• development of fluency through singing
• increasing vocabulary by looking at different types of songs
• reading skills such as reading for details, understanding general meaning, anticipating meaning
• listening for details and for aspects of pronunciation including rhythm
• developing of grammar points used in the songs
• the singing of a variety of English songs.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• develop your fluency through singing
• increase vocabulary by looking at different types of songs
• talk about and discuss a range of topics
• identify the meaning of a range of expressions and idioms
• read for details, understand general meaning and anticipating meaning
• listen for details and for aspects of pronunciation including rhythm
• approximate to English stress-timed rhythm
• use a variety of grammar points
• sing a variety of English songs.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is for students from Entry 3 to Level 2 i.e. pre- intermediate to upper-intermediate (B1-C1). It is ideal for those who enjoy singing and want to improve their English at the same time. You do not need to be a good singer to join this course and you will not need to sing the songs if you do not want to! You can focus on the grammatical aspects, vocabulary and listening skills.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment. The tutor will encourage you to learn through enjoying the music and the words and expressing yourself. The tutor will guide you but you will also work in pairs and groups. You will learn how to use song in your everyday life to develop your English.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs but you should bring a pen, paper and folder to class. It will also be good to record yourself singing,.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you could do next or at the same time depending on your level.
•ESOL Pronunciation Stage 1 course will be very helpful.
•ESOL and Making Podcasts is also an excellent course - you will make digital recordings so you can listen to yourself and your interactions as well as make longer talks.
•ESOL: Improve your fluency (entry 3-level 1)
•ESOL: Develop your listening skills (level 1)
• Good communication skills at work: working with people (entry 3 to level 1)
• Workplace skills for ESOL learners: communicating in the online and face to face office (level 1 )
•English dialogue: speaking, listening, pronunciation, performance (level 1-2)
You can also do our General ESOL courses.
There also many maths and digital skills courses you can do. Ask your tutor or contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7492 2511 for more details.