ESOL communicating at work: customer care (entry 3-level 1)
Time: 10:00 - 12:00
Before this course, you need to do a pre-course assessment. Contact email@example.com / 020 7492 2511 or click the Start Assessment button on this page. Log on with your email address (not name). Use Chrome if possible.
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit) and your monthly take home pay is less than £343. For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Check your level
Course Code: ESCC01
Duration: 7 sessions (over 8 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course will help you feel more confident when dealing with the public e.g. in a shop, café or at reception. You will practise greeting customers, understanding what they want and responding to their requests. You will learn the language for offering suggestions and giving advice, describing and recommending products and dealing with complaints both faced to face and on the phone in a polite manner. You will improve your reading of product labels and information, and learn how to communicate with your supervisor.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• how to deal with customers in a shop, café, reception or over the phone
• greeting customers politely
• understanding what they want and responding to their requests
• offering suggestions and advice politely
• describing and recommending products
• dealing with complaints politely face to face and on the phone
• reading information on product labels
• communicating with your supervisor – speaking and writing.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• deal with customers in a shop, café, reception or over the phone more confidently
• greet customers politely
• identify what customers want and respond to their requests
• offer suggestions and advice politely with correct grammar
• describe and recommend products with good grammar and pronunciation
• deal with complaints politely face to face and on the phone using correct grammar
• identify and understand information on product labels
• communicate with your supervisor – speaking and writing.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an Entry 3-Level 1 course (B1-B2). It is ideal for those who are working or would like to work with the public.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment. It will be a dynamic and interactive course with lots of practice. You will work in pairs, groups and as whole class. The tutor will also work with you individually. There will be a lot of emphasis on communication. You will do role play and ACT ESOL where you act out and rehearse situations you have been involved in in at work so you can learn how to respond to them, improve your vocabulary, learn more grammar, and work on your pronunciation and fluency. You will need to do some homework every week and use Google Classroom outside the class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and worksheets.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you could do next or at the same time as this course. You could join a Entry 3 or Level 1 course with an exam. You can also do a number of courses without an exam. These courses include:
ESOL and singing: sing your way to better English (entry 3-level 2)
Office Skills for ESOL students (entry 3-level 1)
ESOL: Finding a Better Job (entry 3-level 1)
Grammar in Practice: Intermediate (entry 3-level 1)
ESOL: Improve your fluency (entry 3-level 1)
ESOL: Develop your listening skills (level 1).