Essential digital skills for work (level 1)
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
You need to complete a pre-course assessment to make sure you are on the right course. Click on the Start Assessment button. Or call our administrator on 0207 492 2511 or email email@example.com to arrange an assessment with one of our course advisors and start your journey.
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Check your level
Course Code: CEDS05
Please choose a course date
Duration: 14 sessions (over 7 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course will provide you with the digital skills you need to thrive in the information age. You will also study for the Essential Digital Skills for Work Level 1 (BCS) qualification. You will learn how to manage digital information, solve technical problems, create and edit documents, process numerical data, share information online, use online services, and stay safe and responsible. By the end of the course you will have the confidence in your digital skills to progress to Level 2 ECDL and demonstrate to employers you are digitally competent.
What will we cover?
The course will cover these main areas with particular emphasis on a work context.
• Using digital devices to handle information, including finding, evaluating, managing and storing information
• Solving technical problems
• Creating and editing documents and digital media and processing numerical data – Word, PowerPoint, Excel
• Communicating, sharing and managing traceable online activities
• Making digital transactions – using online services and buying securely online
• Being safe and responsible online – including protecting privacy and data and maintaining and promoting digital well-being.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• use devices to handle information particularly in the workplace
• effectively search, find and evaluate workplace digital information
• manage and store workplace information using the key file management principles
• identify and solve basic technical problems
• create and edit documents and digital media – using Word, PowerPoint and Excel - in a workplace context
• perform key functions in Excel to process numerical data in a workplace context
• communicate share and manage traceable online activities
• use different online services including buying securely online
• identify and practise key aspects of safe and responsible online activity including protecting privacy and data particularly within a workplace context.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a Level 1 qualification for students at general beginner level. It is ideal if you want to develop your digital skills in the main programs used in today’s workplace and prove your competence to employers by gaining a formal qualification. You need some basic keyboard skills. You will need to have a pre-course assessment before joining this course. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7492 2511.
You need to be able to attend every class and prepare for the exam outside the classroom. If you are not able to do this, please ask about our non-accredited course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks, with guidance from the tutor. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a folder to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are a variety of other courses you could do before, at same time or after this course.
The next progression course is Level 2 Certificate in IT User Skills (ECDL Extra)
Other courses include:
• Becoming MORE confident on PowerPoint 365 (intermediate)
• Digital skills for the workplace: using Excel (foundation)
• Digital Skills for the workplace: using Excel (intermediate)
• Digital skills for the workplace: analysing, handling and presenting data with Excel (intermediate)
• Digital skills for the workplace: using Word (intermediate)
• Digital Skills for the virtual and face-to-face office (intermediate)
• Digital Skills to apply for work: CVs, covering letters and use of social media
• Getting job ready: identifying the most in-demand work skills and how you can develop them
• How to be a skilled administrator in the virtual and face-to-face office: the essentials
• How to be administrator in the virtual and face-to-face office: how to be organised, efficient, precise and service-focused
• How to be an administrator: the online paperless office
• Touch typing and keyboard skills
There also many English, maths and office skills courses you can do. Ask your tutor or contact email@example.com / 020 7492 2511 for more details.