Time: 18:00 - 21:00
This course is FREE if a) you live in London and your job is at risk of redundancy or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit) and your monthly take home pay is less than £343. For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
What is the course about?
It builds on the Excel Essential or Excel 2016 for the workplace course and introduces the more advanced features of the application. Covers some of the formulae associated with logical, statistical, financial and mathematical operations. Naming data ranges and using names in calculations.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Conditional Formatting
• More advanced formulas incorporating various functions (COUNTIF, SUMIF, VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP, DATE and TIME functions, PMT, PV, FV, DATABASE Functions).
• Using data tables
• More advanced linking of worksheets for calculations
• Naming data ranges and using names in calculations.
• Advanced sorting of data
• Advanced filtering of data
• Scenario Manger
• Data Validation and Auditing Spreadsheets
• Using pivot tables
• Recording macros.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Produce calculations using formulas incorporating various functions (COUNTIF, SUMIF, VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP, DATE and TIME functions, Text, PMT, PV, FV, DATABASE Functions, and summarise values from different worksheets/workbooks
• Work with large and more complicated worksheets with confidence.
• Sort and filter data using specified criteria
• Analyse data using pivot tables
• Set up best/worst case scenarios
• Automate tasks using macros.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an advanced course and you should have completed the Excel Essential or Excel 2016 for the workplace course, or have working knowledge or experience of using Excel.
You should also be able to follow spoken and written instructions and be comfortable carrying out mathematical calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Step by step instruction, with demonstrations where appropriate, will help you grasp the concepts. Course notes will be provided by the tutor in Google Classroom.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no other costs, however you need to have Microsoft Office installed, preferably 2016 or later.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Further excel courses eg - Excel: expert, Excel: financial modelling, Introduction to VBA in Excel, Pivot Table a deeper Look, Excel: tables & charts, Data analytics with Power BI. Access 2016: Advanced. A beginner’s guide to SQL, Introduction to SQL and Microsoft SQL server. You might want to explore some programming languages like - Introduction to Python, introduction to C#, introduction to Java, Introduction to R programming.
Abbott Katz has instructed Excel at numerous corporate and university venues, on both sides of the Atlantic - and both sides of the Channel. A native New Yorker with a doctorate in sociology, Abbott has written two books on Excel (Apress), authored the www.spreadsheetjournalism.com blog, and designs spreadsheets in a consultative capacity. He offered a 5-session, Excel-driven Data Stories workshop last year at the Sciences Po University in Paris (in English!), and his work with the application has been cited by the Wall Street Journal, the Guardian, the Freakonomics blog, and the spreadsheet expert Chandoo.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.