Time: 10:00 - 17:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
See what you could create –
view a selection of work made on our children’s book illustration courses
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: VK404
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
A guided introduction into the world of children’s book illustration, and an opportunity to discover the breadth of skills you can develop to successfully compete in the industry.
What will we cover?
Over the day, you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn something of the world of Children’s book publishing and the role of the illustrator within it
- Explore developing a character in response to a brief
- Find out everything you want to know about the 30 week Children’s Book Illustration course.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Be aware of some of the parameters and scope of the industry
- Understand something of the structure and teaching methods on the 30 week Children’s Book Illustration course.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is for all levels.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, hand-outs and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
Please look at the rest of the course outline carefully to decide if you may benefit from support in your English and Math’s skills to help you to take part fully in this class.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course will combine demonstration, group discussion and some individual exploration. You will be encouraged to contribute thoughts.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
It would be very useful for you to have the following:
- Some cheap paper (like newsprint) for quick sketches
- A stick of charcoal
- An A3 pad of cartridge paper
- A range of pencils, an eraser and a sharpener or scalpel.
- A black drawing pen – e.g. Pentel Sign Pen and/or a dip pen with a Gillot 303 nib & bottle of permanent Indian ink
- Anything you’d like to use to add colour eg coloured pencils, watercolour, pastels
Need art supplies? Our partner London Graphic Centre has everything you need from pencil to printing services, at 15% off.
To get an LGC discount card, students will need to show proof/ confirmation of enrolment of them being a student at City Lit. You can apply for our card in-store or by simply emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with a scan or photo of relevant confirmation.
The student discount does not apply to products that are already discounted or on offer. More information can be found here- https://www.londongraphics.co.uk/student-discounts/.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can develop your skills further on VK547 Children's book writing and illustration workshop or compliment your illustration skills with a range of courses in illustration, Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and InDesign.