Time: 10:30 - 13:30
In English with some Portuguese.
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: LPW12
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
This course will introduce you to Rio de Janeiro and surrounding areas. You will also gain an insight into the cultural, geographical and gastronomical aspects of this city.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- historic, cultural, natural and gastronomic aspects of the city
- landmarks of the city
- main coast and mountain towns surrounding the city.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Better understand/explore the history and culture of Rio
- Discuss, share experiences and perceptions about the region
- Practice/ expand/consolidate vocabulary and grammar related to this topic
- Plan better for a trip to Rio de Janeiro and surrounding areas
- Continue to explore this beautiful region beyond the workshop by watching suggested films
- Learn how to cook dishes from this region.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No formal skills are necessary; the course is suitable for beginners but will also offer insight and challenge for those who understand Portuguese.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught by listening / viewing videos, lecture and discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Portuguese language courses at various levels. Please check with the Languages department.
Being a 'third culture kid', Claudia became interested in languages, travel and culture in her early years. After acquiring a Master’s degree in Communication Sciences and working as an Art Director, Travel Writer and Fine Art Landscape Photographer for some years, her lifelong passion for languages brought her to gain a Certificate in Language Teaching to Adults. As a native speaker of Portuguese and Spanish, she is experienced in delivering tailored language lessons for adults from all different backgrounds and levels. Being a global nomad since birth, different cultural experiences and the understanding that there is more than one way to look at situations, has given Claudia the insight of perceiving the world in different ways simultaneously. “Learning about other cultures and languages is one of the most useful and fulfilling things one can do as it broadens one's horizons in every aspect of life. It opens many doors not only regarding work and business opportunities but also as a way not only to really interact with other cultures but also learn from them. It is one of the best gifts you can give to yourself!”
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.