Explore St. Petersburg: Three centuries of history and culture
Time: 10:30 - 13:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: LBRW2
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
This workshop will help the students to discover the highlights of the history and the culture of Saint Petersburg over the last three centuries. The course also explores the most important writers, cultural institutions, and the famous architectural monuments of the city. Finally, the course offers a number of useful tips for those who wish to visit the city. At the end of the session, students will learn some Russian greetings and do a quiz.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Peter the Great of Russia and the foundation of Saint Petersburg
• The Emperors of Saint Petersburg
• Main cultural institutions and monuments
• Literary Saint Petersburg
• Three Revolutions of Saint Petersburg
• The Second World War and the Siege of Leningrad
• Russian greetings
• Tips for tourists.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Take part in a group discussion about perceptions of Saint Petersburg before / after the course
- Better understand the cultural and historical context of Saint Petersburg
- Plan more appropriately for a trip to Saint Petersburg
-Say some greetings in Russian.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Everyone is welcome, no particular skills are needed.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All materials will be provided by the tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please ask the tutor for other related courses/workshops.
Anna has been working as a German, Russian and French language teacher since 2010 and has taught adults and children, both groups and individuals, from complete beginners to advanced learners. Anna thinks that enjoyment and motivation are the most important factors when learning a language, so she includes a lot of role play, conversation and real-life materials in her lessons. Languages are her main passion which she tries to communicate to her students. Anna also extensively works as a translator and editor. She has a significant experience in the development and editing of original teaching materials, as she has worked a lot in the field of educational publishing. Anna is a Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists and works as an examiner and presenter for this institution. Anna holds a Translator's Degree from the University of Heidelberg, a Master’s degree from ESCP (École Supérieure de Commerce de Paris), the Diploma in Translation IoLET and the CELTA qualification. Anna has a multicultural and multilingual background as she lived and worked in Germany, France, Russia and England for many years.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.