Time: 10:00 - 13:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: VO121
Duration: 5 sessions (over 5 weeks)
What is the course about?
Through practical exercises, you will create drawings and paintings from the live portrait model [online], investigating working methods that deviate from conventional approaches. You will explore strategies to overturn the standard methods of developing the portrait, making decisions and changes to your work, supported by an investigation and discussion of artists who subvert academic styles for a more distorted and individualistic approach. These exercises and your analysis of different artists will help you develop new ways to represent and express portraiture.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
The practical exercises will focus on exploring alternative approaches to representing the portrait, while developing your skills in drawing and painting. We will cover:-
• The relationship between viewpoint and portrait
• An exploration of drawing and colour to articulate expression.
• Methods of application and erasure to change and develop the portrait.
• Investigation and discussion of particular artists to support the development of your portraits.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Produce drawings and paintings that explore unconventional methods to representing portraits.
• Develop and articulate your expressive potential in portraiture.
• Contribute to discussions about particular artworks with your fellow students and tutor.
• Consider and develop a range of mark-making applications to manipulate and structure the portrait.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Some drawing skills are required. The course is suitable for those who already have some experience drawing or painting from the model and would like to develop alternative methods and approaches to representing the figure.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
• This course will be taught online using live Zoom and Google Classroom through weekly sessions and/or video demonstrations. You will need to download the Zoom app before the first class.
• Examples of artists, techniques, materials and approaches will be shown/discussed as an introduction to the practical activities which will involve drawing/painting from observation on zoom and will be supported through one-on-one and group discussions.
• Lecture slides /Feedback/, Q & A/ group chats using Google classroom and during live sessions
• You will have the opportunity to engage with your tutor and the rest of your online learning community using live sessions on zoom and on google classroom
• Online resource, inspiration and handouts
• A computer or laptop with a fully updated google chrome browser works best for live sessions
• Headphones with microphones to block out all room noise in sessions
or you can use a tablet or phone but your device will need a microphone, and optionally a camera.
• The course will have its own Google classroom which will be used for; class communication, as a repository for class resources, including handouts, shared research suggestions, classwork etc. On enrolment you will be given codes to access this. The research and preparation before each session will be available on google classroom as information, images and handouts.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
As this is an online course you will need to have a suitable working space eg a desk/table/easel and somewhere to put completed work/ work in progress.
Pencils, rubber, willow charcoal, compressed charcoal or black pastel. A supply of good quality drawing paper and canvas for painting, acrylic or oil paints, brushes, palette for mixing colours, jar for water or solvent [Zest-it], palette knife for mixing colours, rag/cloth for cleaning brushes You will be supplied with a full materials list when you enrol.
A computer or laptop with a fully updated browser google chrome browser works best.
- Headphones with microphones to block out all noise in sessions
- Or your device will need a microphone, and optionally a camera.
- You will need to login into our Google classroom before our sessions start, details will be provided ahead of the start date.
- You will require a good broadband connection as mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle will not provide sufficient Bandwidth.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Have a browse of other Life and portraiture courses in the links above.
Paul is an artist who works with drawing, painting and printmaking. He was educated at Jacob Kramer College of Art, Leeds, where he received an Art and Design Foundation certificate. Then after studying at Cyprus College of Art he completed a BA in painting at Winchester School of Art and later an MA certificate in painting at the Royal College of Art. As a tutor he has experience of delivering a wide variety of art courses, Paul prefers an open-minded approach to teaching, supporting learners through developing the skills they already have, while offering demonstrations, guidance and advice that help new learners to explore a basic grounding in drawing and painting skills. This attitude relates to his eclectic and varied approach to working, traversing both abstract and representational imagery. ‘What I enjoy about teaching art is the way that learners respond to exercises and projects in different ways and seeing the development of their work as a personal exploration. It shows an actual record of an individuals thoughts and feelings and I think the purpose of teaching is to embrace and support this.’
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.