Time: 18:00 - 19:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: ME112A
Duration: 12 sessions (over 12 weeks)
What is the course about?
Extend your flute technique and musical understanding. Gain confidence and enjoyment through progression in your abilities. Learn appropriate and challenging repertoire.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Continuation and development of areas of study covered in the Flute 1 : tone, technique, articulation, intonation, embouchure, breathing, phrasing, dynamics and rhythm.
- Extending the range of notes we can play - from bottom C to top E
- Major and minor scales and arpeggios up to two sharps and flats
- Chromatic scales
-Improve your aural perception
- Develop the ability to improvise, sight-read and memorise
- learn new techniques e.g. double tonguing
- working on ornamentation such as trills and mordents
- music theory, style and context through expanding repertoire of different musical styles and cultures.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- play a two-octave range of notes with decent tone and tuning
- play with improved articulation, finger technique, breath control and embouchure
- play with increased understanding of musical theory, style and context
- play with a good sense of rhythm
- demonstrate accurate reading of music notation
- demonstrate skills in listening, improvising, sight-reading and memorising.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You will need to have had at least one year's flute study, either through City Lit level 1 course or other tuition, so that you play at grade 2 standard. You should be able to play scales of F major and G major, and be working towards playing D major across 2 octaves.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Tutor demonstration, playing in unison and in two, three and four parts. And we will listen to and analyse flute recordings.
To make progress you will need to practise on at least 4 days a week.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Some music will need to be purchased. All other resources and materials are available in the google classroom.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course continues as Flute 2B next term. Occasional editions of the jazz flute course are also an option.
Jacquelyn trained as a flautist with Robert Winn, and studied Irish traditional music at the University of Limerick. Jacquelyn performs world-wide as a solo artist, in her own trio or with other groups, playing at major venues throughout the UK, Europe and the USA. Jacquelyn’s folk/world project Avalonia has featured leading world and jazz musicians, and her recent collaboration “Celtic Caribbean Crossing” played to sell-out audiences at the Irish Cultural Centre. She also regularly performs as an actor and actor-musician. Jacquelyn’s debut CD “Silver and Wood” was released to critical acclaim in 2014, and toured the UK with Arts Council England support, with further performances at Folk Alliance (Kansas), and in Italy for Donne in Musica. Jacquelyn teaches flute at City Lit, as well as flute and folk music at Morley College and the Irish Cultural Centre, and she is Senior Lecturer in Folk Music at Leeds College of Music. She has given folk workshops at Munster Music Academy, Ireland, and at Wigmore Hall, Oxford University, and Cambridge Music Trust.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.