Time: 19:45 - 21:15
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: ME103B
Please choose a course date
Duration: 12 sessions (over 12 weeks)
What is the course about?
For students to extend their flute playing technique, reading and musical understanding in an online setting. Gain
confidence and enjoyment through progression in your ability. You will study pieces in a range of styles, including core classical pieces. Develop your technique and the art of creative, expressive performance through traditional and contemporary schools of flute playing.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- development of tone, technique, articulation, intonation, embouchure, breathing, phrasing, dynamics, vibrato, posture.
- Aural, sight-reading and memorisation skills
- Interpretation, improvisation and creative approaches to practising and performing
- Expand our understanding of music theory, style and context through varied repertoire (classical, folk, jazz and pop)
- In-depth study and analysis of core repertoire for flute
- Extended contemporary techniques such as flutter-tonguing
- Preparation to perform or record online, and using digital resources including backing tracks / accompaniments
- Support for graded examinations if requested.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- have an integrated understanding of practical skills and theoretical knowledge
- play with better tone and intonation
- have improved your embouchure, articulation, finger technique, and breath control.
- have an enhanced sense of interpretation and performance practice
- have a more developed sense of rhythm, improved skills in listening, improvising, sight-reading and memorising
- have a broader knowledge of flute repertoire
- have more experience of playing solo, with piano accompaniment and in an ensemble.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
For players at grade 6 standar and higher.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Live group classes will take place via Zoom, where the tutor will teach and demonstrate repertoire and exercises. There will be opportunities to play along with the tutor and in solo spots. You will also learn from listening to flute recordings and other students. Practice between classes is essential. Recorded accompaniments, including multiple parts, will be supplied via Google Classoom.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Some music will be provided by the tutor via Google Classroom, but you may need to purchase your own solo music. You will need a device to record yourself outside class time. You may want notepaper and a pen or device to take notes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Flute: advanced runs each term, and you may take the course as many times as you wish; different repertoire is chosen each time.
You may also be interested in Music history, Music theory and musicianship, or Ensembles.