Time: 19:45 - 21:15
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: ME114A
Duration: 11 sessions (over 11 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course will keep able flautists practising and playing with others. Develop your technique and musicianship for playing, and learn new repertoire for solo flute and ensembles.
What will we cover?
- continuation and development of previous learning i.e. tone, technique, articulation, posture and breath control
- aural perception, improvisation, sight reading and memorisation
- musical theory, interpretation and style through a varied repertoire of classical, folk, jazz and pop music
- expressive and creative solo performance
- playing with piano accompaniment and/or backing tracks.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- play with better tone, tuning and expressive range
- show improved articulation, breath control and a more flexible embouchure
- demonstrate an enhanced sense of rhythm and better sight reading
- show improvement in finger technique and scales
- perform a range of repertoire
- play along with live or recorded accompaniment.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have at least two years' experience of playing and have reached a standard of grade 2 - 3: able to play fluently from bottom D through 1 1/2 octaves to top G, and to play in major and minor keys up to two sharps/flats.
You should be able to sight-read in simple time.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Demonstration and explanation by the tutor
Group work, playing in unison and in two or three parts
Playing with piano accompaniment and/or backing tracks
Listening to flute recordings
To make progress you will need to practise regularly between classes, ideally at least 20 minutes on at least 4 days a week. There will be an optional opportunity to perform to a group at the end of the term.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You need to have your own flute and cleaning accessories, plus a notebook and pencil to bring to class.
You may need to purchase some music; other music materials will be supplied by the tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Flute: intermediate runs each term, and you may take the course as many times as you wish; different repertoire is chosen each time. When you are ready, progress to Flute: advanced.
You may also be interested in Music history, Music theory and musicianship, or Ensembles.