French beginners at a gentle pace: module 2
Time: 12:15 - 14:00
Location: Keeley Street
This course has now started
Course Code: LF152
Duration: 11 sessions (over 11 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course aims to enable hesitant and/or older learners to communicate in basic French in everyday situations. You will build up your confidence by learning the language gradually with the emphasis on speaking and listening.
What will we cover?
- topics: family; routine and free time; hobbies and centres of interest; the area you live in.
- language points: present tense of some common irregular verbs; il y a/ il n'y a pas de; personal pronoun on; prepositions à/en; asking questions; agreement of adjectives; possessive adjectives; countries; places in town; names of shops; means of transport; members of the family; leisure activities.
- culture: discover Paris and Lyon; some French speaking festivals.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- to speak about your familly
- to speak about your routine
- to speak about your free time
- to describe the area you live in
- to talk about your interests
Please note that the learning outcomes may vary depending on the general progress made by the students.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
For near beginners or for hesitant learners who need to gain their confidence back. Please note this course goes at a slower pace than our standard courses. You should be able to do the following in order to join the course:
- to talk about yourself
- to understand what others say about themselves
- to ask others about them
- to order food and drinks in a café
- to recognise common French sounds.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course offers a friendly and relaxed atmosphere which will enable you to learn at your own pace. Your tutor will use a range of teaching strategies to ensure that you gradually build up your confidence in speaking and listening. Throughout the course, you will receive learning tips on how to speak in groups more effectively and independently (without relying on your notes). You will practise listening to spoken language in ways that will maximise your understanding. There will be activities and advice to help you retain vocabulary.
Homework is highly recommended to consolidate learning.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Textbook and exercise book: Based on units 2,3 & 4) of Entre Nous 1, publisher emdl, ISBN number 978-84-8443-918-9.
Please try the European Bookshop by selecting 'City Lit' and the language you are studying at this web page or call them at 020 7734 5259. If you state on the website, by phone or in the shop that you are studying with us, you can claim a 10% discount. You might be asked for your student number.
Please note that you might not cover all the activities in the book during the course.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
French 1 at a gentle pace: module 3 starting next term. If you are unsure about what to do next, please ask your tutor for advice. Please enrol as soon as possible as places cannot be guaranteed.