Garden design: small spaces
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: VF451
Duration: 6 sessions (over 7 weeks)
What is the course about?
The course will cover the fundamental principals and styles of garden design, demonstrating the main stages of the process and how to create simple, contemporary designs. Discover imaginative and practical solutions for small spaces such as creating privacy, reducing noise and selecting suitable plants and hard landscaping materials for small gardens. Learn how to maximise your garden to suit your needs and translate your ideas onto paper with a simple scaled plan.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- The principles and styles of successful garden design
- How to take a basic survey and analysis of your garden
- How to research for inspiration and create a mood board
- How to draw a basic layout and planting plan to scale
- How to select hard landscaping and planting for small gardens
- How to overcome garden challenges: noise, privacy, shade etc.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Draw your garden plan to scale 1:50
- Use garden design principles in your plan
- Create a mood board for your chosen garden style
- Create a list of different materials and plants that you will use and drawn a basic planting combination
- Apply design techniques to improve difficult areas in your garden.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is a beginners’ course and no previous experience is necessary. This course is for anyone with an interest in garden design.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course will be delivered online, and will involve practical workshops, tutor presentation, informal class discussion and handouts. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged.
You will be taught using Zoom for the live sessions with your tutor. You will receive an email 2.5hrs before your session starts with details of the live session link. Please be aware you will need to check your email address associated with your account within this window.
We use Google Classroom E-learning platform which will store all tasks, notes and resources. You will be sent an email with the necessary information and will need to login into your Google classroom before each sessions starts.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
At the start of the course you will need several sheets of graph paper, A4, a pad of tracing paper or greaseproof paper, masking tape, a notebook, pencil, eraser and a long tape measure. You will be provided with printable graph paper and scale rule as part of the handouts. You must have access to a printer for the duration of the course.
• You will be taught using Zoom for the live sessions with your tutor. You will receive an email 2.5hrs before your session starts with details of the live session link. Please be aware you will need to check your email address associated with your account within this window.
• We use Google Classroom E-learning platform which will store all tasks/notes/resources/ demo videos You will need to login into our Google classroom before each sessions starts.
• You will need a computer or laptop. Ideally with a fully updated google Chrome browser.
• Using headphones with microphones will block out all room noise in sessions.
• If you are using a tablet or mobile device you will need a microphone, and optionally a camera.
• You will require a good broadband connection as mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle will not provide sufficient Bandwidth for live sessions.
• You will need access to a printer.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You might be interested in developing your garden design interests through VF506 Design your own garden in 2 weeks and VF587 Planting for herbal remedies.
Cioty Lit offer a wide range of courses in Garden, Interior Design, Watercolour and drawing to enhance your Garden Design skills. Feel free to contact the department on email@example.com to discuss options with our friendly subject specialists.
Alison Worster has a BA Hons degree in graphic arts and Diploma in Garden Design. Alison’s first career was in commercial design and illustration, with many diverse clients ranging from Natural History Museum, National Trust to Paperchase, John Lewis, and exhibitions of her own artworks. After managing a design studio Alison’s love of drawing nature and plants, and the importance of her own garden, led her to retrain in garden design, allowing her to combine her experience of colour, texture and layout with living plants and outside spaces. Within months of graduating Alison gained a gold medal for the Ideal Home Show ‘Reclaiming London’ garden and won an RHS competition to exhibit at the Chelsea Flower Show ‘Fresh Talent’. Alison now runs her own garden design business, and specialises in making the most of typical, small London spaces. Alison teaches both drawing and garden design and her main aim is to enthuse, demystify and inspire her students in either of her subjects.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.