Genes, genomes and genetic manipulation
Time: 12:30 - 14:30
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: HS046
Duration: 3 sessions (over 3 weeks)
What is the course about?
Starting with the basics of cell biology you will learn about how genetic information is carried in our DNA on genes and chromosomes. You will learn how genes influence evolution and how we inherit our physical characteristics. You will also learn how our health may be determined by our genes, and how genes contribute to cancer and other diseases. The course will deliberate the uses of genetic manipulation and its uses in our modern lives – from ‘GM’ foodstuffs, medical research to DNA testing for paternity and forensic analysis.
What will we cover?
- Basics of cell biology
- Where do we find DNA?
- DNA structure and function
- How genes work and how they carry information
- Inheritance and evolution.
- Genetic diseases and cancer development
- DNA testing for genetic diseases, paternity tests, forensic analysis
- Uses of DNA technology and genetic manipulation for medicine, health and food.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Describe how the structure of DNA is directly linked to its function
- State what is meant by the terms genes, chromosomes and genetic traits
- Explain how genetic information is carried from one generation to the next
- Outline some of the ways in which our genes and the environment govern our health – nature vs nurture
- Recognise and evaluate genetic manipulation – and its uses.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an introductory course and is open to all. No prior knowledge of the subject is required. However, you will
need a good grasp of English to keep up with the course and to participate fully in discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course will be taught through a mixture of illustrated talks and discussions, along with short problem-solving exercises. Materials will include projected images and handouts, as well as internet based resources/media.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Bring a notepad and pen. There are no additional costs for the course.
Experienced teacher of Welsh to adults for 20 years at level from Beginners (Citylit and London Welsh Centre) to Degree (OU, UCL). Oodles of patience, gentle and keen and I have a PGCE and a Welsh degree from Aberystwyth. I’m also a welsh Druid (Gorsedd not stonehenge). From Rhosllanerchrugog but have also lived in Cardiff and Pembrokeshire. I like to travel, learn languages at Citylit and OU and around Celtia plus potter in my garden. I also double up as a Biology tutor at Citylit. I have walked up Yr Wyddfa, Cadair Idris, Penyfan, Carrantouil and half Ben Nevis: I have travelled to Argentina (Y Wladfa) twice and most of Europe. Bungee jump at 60. IPerfect the cheese souffle, sing in a choir, visit China, Japan, Madagascar, Nagaland and the Rockies the Kalahari and climb Ben Nevis and Snaefell. Go on the zipwire in the slate caverns.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.