Time: 14:45 - 16:45
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now started
Course Code: LG635
Duration: 10 sessions (over 10 weeks)
What is the course about?
To enable students to talk about a wide range of everyday subjects, enlarge their vocabulary and enable them to understand and discuss complex subjects.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
A range of different topics will be introduced, most of them coming from news clips and newspaper articles.Students and the tutor will agree topics at the beginning of the course based on the students' interests. Students might have the opportunity to give a presentation and read some piece of literature at home to be discussed in class.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Based on C2 criteria, individual learning outcomes will be discussed at the beginning of the course.
Common learning outcomes include:
- explain facts and arguments in fluent and well-structured language, conveying evaluative aspects and most nuances precisely, and pointing out sociocultural implications (e.g. use of register, understatement, irony and sarcasm).
- converse comfortably and appropriately, unhampered by any linguistic limitations in conducting a full social and personal life.
- understand extended speech even when it is not clearly structured and when relationships are only implied and not signalled explicitly.
- mediate effectively, taking on different roles according to the needs of the people and situation involved, identifying nuances and undercurrents and guiding a sensitive or delicate discussion
- understand television programmes and films without too much effort.
-understand any kind of spoken language, whether live or broadcast, even when delivered at fast native speed, provided I have some time to get familiar with the accent.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
For students with a very good knowledge of German in all areas and a fairly wide range of vocabulary. Students own contributions and suggestions are welcome. C2
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart at the start of the languages section of our course guide or on our website.
It is also essential that you have knowledge of more complex grammar terminology such as: the subjunctive, the conditional, the dative, the accusative, subordinate clauses and conjunctions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Our courses are characterised by spoken interaction and communication. Typical activities include pair work, group work, role plays and games. A range of resources will be used to support your learning including presentations, hand-outs, and audio-visual material.
Homework is highly recommended to consolidate learning.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Audio visual material and newspaper articles are provided by the tutor. If a course book is recommended please try: Grant and Cutler - http://www.foyles.co.uk/Grant-and-Cutler-at-Foyles (020 7734 2012) and The European Bookshop - http://www.europeanbookshop.com (020 7734 5259).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Other German level 6 courses. Please enrol early to avoid disappointment.
Christina Parte studied English and French at Vienna University, Austria as well as Gender, Culture, Politics at Birkbeck College, London. She has taught German as a foreign language for nearly twenty years at universities and in adult education in the US and in the UK.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.