German holiday kit
Time: 11:00 - 15:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: LBG00
Duration: 2 sessions
What is the course about?
This course will give you the tools to hold simple / survival conversations during a visit in a German speaking country.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
1. simple conversation when you’re out and about-say hello and goodbye, give and ask for basic & personal information ( your name, which languages you speak, where you are from etc)
2. Buy items in shops, ask about prices
3. Order food & drinks & ask for the bill
4. Ask for directions
5. Numbers including the time
6. At the hotel
7. Buy tickets, enquire about departure/arrival times/ delays & platform number
8. At the chemist
9. Cultural advice (e.g. tipping, paying in a café) which may be different from the UK.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
1. have a simple conversation when you’re out & about-say hello & goodbye, give and ask for basic & personal information ( your name, which languages you speak, where you are from etc)
2. buy items in shops, ask about and understand prices
3. order food & drinks & ask for the bill
4. ask for directions
5. say and understand numbers including the time
6. hold a simple conversation at the hotel/ aprtment/ bnb
7. buy tickets, enquire about departure/arrival times/ delays & platform number
8. hold a simple converstaion at the chemist
9. understand cultural differences (e.g. tipping, paying in a café).
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners' course - No previous knowledge of the language is required.
You will need to be able to understand basic spoken and written information in English (e.g. simple instructions, course documents) and be at ease with the use of numbers for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time etc).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The emphasis is on speaking and listening. Methods include pair work and group work, and role play.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
This course is based on tutors' own materials. You will just need to bring a pen and paper.
Course includes reference booklet for students with some of the following questions/phrases/situations:
• Can you repeat, please?
• I don’t eat meat. I’m vegetarian/vegan
• Can I have a bag please? ( in the supermarket)
• Do you speak English? I don’t speak…/I don’t understand.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Any complete beginner course starting in September.
Anna has been working as a German, Russian and French language teacher since 2010 and has taught adults and children, both groups and individuals, from complete beginners to advanced learners. Anna thinks that enjoyment and motivation are the most important factors when learning a language, so she includes a lot of role play, conversation and real-life materials in her lessons. Languages are her main passion which she tries to communicate to her students. Anna also extensively works as a translator and editor. She has a significant experience in the development and editing of original teaching materials, as she has worked a lot in the field of educational publishing. Anna is a Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists and works as an examiner and presenter for this institution. Anna holds a Translator's Degree from the University of Heidelberg, a Master’s degree from ESCP (École Supérieure de Commerce de Paris), the Diploma in Translation IoLET and the CELTA qualification. Anna has a multicultural and multilingual background as she lived and worked in Germany, France, Russia and England for many years.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.