Get skills in: ink and wash techniques
Time: 14:00 - 17:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: VM995
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
What is the course about?
• exploring the potential of the medium of ink and washes for sketching, recording ideas and for creating studies for more sustained works.
• providing a supported but expansive setting in which to hone personal skills and build confidence
• introducing a variety of application techniques.
What will we cover?
• Working from direct observation
• Using reference photographs and online images as source material
• Pens, brushes and non standard drawing tools
• Wet into wet technique
• Movement in washes
• Papers and stretching paper.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Identify suitable opportunities and subjects for pen and wash drawings
• Recognise the characteristics inherent in 3+ wash techniques
• Demonstrate an understanding of suitable papers and tools to use with washes.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for all levels, however, some drawing experience would be helpful (e.g. on the course 'Drawing 1' ).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is studio based – you will work from direct observation.
Examples of techniques and materials will be shown, demonstrated and discussed.
Handouts and contextual images will be used.
A series of short practical activities will be set based around the techniques demonstrated.
These will be supported by one-to-one guidance and an informal review at the close of the session.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The course fee covers the basic materials such as cartridge paper and inks. If you have favourite drawing pens etc or would like to use specialist paper then please bring these with you.