Grammar in practice: advanced (level 2+)
Time: 18:15 - 20:15
Before this course, you need to do a pre-course assessment. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7492 2511 or click the Start Assessment button on this page. Log on with your email address (not name). Use Chrome if possible. The course runs over three terms (though you may start any term, places allowing).
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit) and your monthly take home pay is less than £343. For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Check your level
Course Code: HES45
Please choose a course date
Duration: 11 sessions (over 11 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course is for very competent users of English who want to consolidate and extend their grammar to use advanced structures more accurately in speaking and writing. The grammar will be set in different, challenging contexts – such as current affairs, art, culture - which will require you to use complex forms in order to express yourself accurately. The emphasis will be on the accurate use of grammar as well as understanding how grammar affects meaning.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
A variety of different grammatical structures will be covered depending on the needs of the group. The main areas likely to be included are:
• uses and meaning of perfect verb forms
• uses and meaning of continuous vs simple verb forms
• when and how to use the passive
• how to use grammar to make your writing/speech more formal e.g. negative adverbials followed by word order inversion
• the use and non-use of the passive
• how to talk generally
• use of abstract nouns and relative clauses
• use of the article and non-article
• verbs followed by particles/prepositions
• use of infinitives and –ing forms
• different ways of talking about the future.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• express yourself with a high degree of accuracy paying attention to correct form and how grammar can affect meaning
• use and understand your use of all perfect forms so you can articulate the differences in meaning
• distinguish the different uses and meanings of continuous vs simple forms
• talk about the future in different ways
• identify which grammatical elements can change your writing/speech into a more formal language
• accurately combine abstract nouns and relative clauses
• combine a range of verbs and prepositions/particles accurately
• identify when to use infinitives vs –ing forms.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is for students at Level 2+ (C1-C2). It is particularly helpful to students who need to focus on the details of English grammar and how to use grammar to develop meaning. You will need to do a pre-course assessment.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks, with guidance from the tutor. You will work on your own and with other students on different tasks so you are always practising important in-demand life and work skills such as problem-solving, decision-making, prioritising, negotiating, collaborating and independence. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can complete challenging tasks in enjoyable and relaxing ways. Your tutor will also work with you individually so you know how to improve and how to work in a way that improves your learning. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and a code for Google classroom so you can communicate with classmates and access materials, videos etc. online.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you can do before, at the same time or after this course. These include:
• Reading stories, telling stories: vocabulary, discussion, expression (level 2)
• Matters of opinion (level 2)
• Advanced writing skills: how to write creatively and expressively (level 2)
• ESOL level 2 (speaking and listening)
• ESOL level 2 (reading and writing)
• English for professionals: C1 Advanced (Cambridge English: Advanced, CAE)
• English for professionals: C2 Proficiency (Cambridge English: Proficiency, CPE )
• English for professionals: becoming fully proficient
• English for professionals: communicating, selling, negotiating and managing in business and work (Level 2)
• English Communication Skills for professionals: finding the right word in business (advanced)
• English for professionals: how to make your writing clear, concise and flowing (advanced ESOL)
• Prepare for IELTS and improve your academic writing
These courses may also help:
• Develop your confidence in writing: finding the right tone and improving your style (level 1-2)
• Develop your writing for inside and outside the workplace: how to make your writing organised, clear and to the point (level 2)
• Develop your reading and writing for inside and outside the workplace: read well, write well - analysing, evaluating and making decisions about what you read (level 2)
• Workplace skills: getting your point across (level 2)
• Workplace skills: how to work effectively with other people and be a team person
• Workplace skills: communicating, negotiating and influencing (level 2)
There also many maths and digital skills courses you can do. Ask your tutor or contact email@example.com / 020 7492 2511 for more details.