Hindi Holiday Kit
Time: 11:00 - 15:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: LBH00
Duration: 2 sessions
What is the course about?
This course will give you the tools to hold simple / survival conversations during a visit in India.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
1. Simple conversation when you’re out and about-say hello and goodbye, give and ask for basic & personal information ( your name, which languages you speak, where you are from etc)
2. Buy items in shops, ask about prices
3. Order food & drinks & ask for the bill
4. Ask for directions
5. Numbers including the time
6. At the hotel
7. Buy tickets, enquire about departure/arrival times/ delays & platform number
8. At the chemist
9. Cultural advice (e.g. tipping, paying in a café) which may be different from the UK.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
1. have a simple conversation when you’re out & about-say hello & goodbye, thank you ,excuse me ;give and ask for basic & personal information ( your name, nationality and occupation)
2. buy items in shops, ask about and understand prices
3. order food & drinks & ask for the bill
4. ask for locations
5. say and understand numbers
6. hold a simple conversation at the hotel/ aprtment/ bnb
7. buy tickets, enquire about departure/arrival times/ delays & platform number
8. hold a simple converstaion at the chemist
9. understand cultural differences (e.g. tipping, paying in a café).
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners' course - No previous knowledge of the language is required.
You will need to be able to understand basic spoken and written information in English (e.g. simple instructions, course documents) and be at ease with the use of numbers for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time etc).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Our courses are characterised by spoken interaction and communication. Typical activities include pair work, group work, role plays and games. A range of resources will be used to support your learning including presentations, hand-outs, and audio-visual material.
Homework is highly recommended to consolidate learning.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
This course is based on tutors' own materials. You will just need to bring a pen and paper.
Course includes reference booklet for students with some of the following questions/phrases/situations:
• Please say it again ?
• Please speak slowly.
• I’m vegetarian/vegan
• Please give me a bag? ( in the supermarket)
• Do you speak English? I don’t speak…/I don’t understand.
• I need help.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Any complete beginner course starting in September.
Sabrina graduated from Aligarh Muslim University, India with a BA in Hindi & Sanskrit in 1990 and was awarded three University Gold Medals. Sabrina then went on to study Fine Art for a BFA & MFA in 1994 and 1996 respectively from Delhi University, India and an MA in Art Practice at Goldsmiths College, London University in 2007-9. Sabrina has 7 years of experience in teaching Hindi- her first language. She enjoys using audio/visual resources and activities in language teaching along with her own original teaching materials. Her in-depth knowledge of the language and teaching experience with specially designed lessons make her lessons very enjoyable. Her cultural inputs and anecdotes provide a deeper understanding of her fascinating country - India. Her research interests include contemporary Hindi in urban/rural settings and in Bollywood. She is also a proofreader for Hachette. Recently she reviewed the Hindi Grammar book for Routledge.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.