Improve your English and maths with social media (entry 2 - entry 3)
Time: 10:00 - 13:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit). For more information click here
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Check your level
Course Code: YC004
Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
What is the course about?
On this course you will be introduced to various apps, websites and Facebook groups that would enable you to improve your English and maths skills.
What will we cover?
• Exploring various apps, websites and Facebook groups which are suitable for your English and maths level
• Accessing a range of functions on apps, websites and Facebook to enable you to participate, express yourself and progress in various activities.
• Checking and using the security setting to ensure that you remain safe online
• Interacting, sharing content and collaborating with various online communities who are also learning English and maths.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Explore various apps, websites and Facebook groups which are suitable for your English and maths level
• Access a range of functions on apps, websites and Facebook to enable you to participate, express yourself and progress in various activities.
• Check and use the security setting to ensure that you remain safe online
• Interact, share content and collaborate with various online communities who are also learning English and maths.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have your own Facebook account and be able to access a browser independently.
To find out your level of skills, you will need to complete the initial assessment & the interview before enrolling. To book the assessment & the interview, please contact: e-mail: email@example.com; phone (sms): 07307 810118; phone (voice): 02074922511.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught in a deaf-only group with a tutor that is fluent in British Sign Language. Teaching will be in a supportive group setting, which involves independent, pair and small group work. The tutor will demonstrate the aim of the session and you will then be able to put this new knowledge and skill to use in task based activities. The interactive whiteboard and google classroom will also help your learning. Handouts and worksheets will allow you to build up a folder of work. You will be given homework on a regular basis and an opportunity for one to one tutorials with your tutor to discuss any individual learning needs that you have.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a folder, pens, paper and a communication device of your choice: iPad/tablet, phone, laptop.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
In order to complete this course successfully, you will be asked to do various tests and complete your coursework by your course tutor. Also, your attendance and punctuality is expected to be at 85% or above. At the end of this course, your course tutor will review your overall learning progress including your attendance/punctuality and will advise accordingly.