Introduction to beaded jewellery
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
This course has now started
Course Code: VV694
Duration: 5 sessions (over 5 weeks)
What is the course about?
This short course will introduce you to the techniques and tools used to make personal pieces of beaded jewellery. You will learn how to make a range of beaded items from necklaces to tiaras.
You will use beginners stringing and knotting techniques, look at beaded jewellery design and patterns and learn about bead wire corsage techniques.
What will we cover?
- Which tools and beads to use for beaded jewellery making
- How to make a knotted bead bracelet/necklace and earrings using silk thread
- Bead-stringing patterns: create a necklace that demonstrates one or more of these patterns
- Which findings to use and how to attach them
- Wire twisting methods to make a simple wire and bead corsage
- How to use appropriate glues for beaded jewellery
- Understand the layout of an online bead shop and what to buy if required.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Confidently design and make personal pieces of beaded jewellery
- Buy beaded jewellery materials and tools online for your own projects and commissions
- Construct a corsage, earrings, bracelets and necklaces
- Make or choose appropriate findings for each design
- Build on your beaded jewellery techniques, whatever level you are
- Know when and how to use glue cleanly and effectively in your work.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
All levels welcome, from complete beginners to accomplished jewellers wishing to try out a new medium.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course will be taught face to face and using Google Classroom through weekly sessions and demonstrations to the group.
Feedback, Q & A and group chats using Google classroom.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Some materials are provided, but you may want to bring your own beading tools an beads.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offer a wide range of short and year-long courses in Jewellery design and making, from beginners to
advanced, and for professional development.
Browse our current online offer for complementary courses.
Beverley has an academic training in Fine Art and Textiles and for a while set up a design business in Knitted Garments. Whilst studying for an MA in Textiles, Beverley started using traditional Bead Weaving, Embroidery and Quilting techniques to create painted and stitched pieces. This led to creating accredited and personal interest short courses in Beaded Jewellery, Fashion and Textiles. Beverley continues to use constructive Textile techniques within her teaching practise. She is actively involved in her community and works closely with local charities to explore how Art and Craft increases Well Being. She is a member of Hastings Arts Forum where she curates Textile shows and exhibits.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.