Introduction to business accounting
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
This course is FREE if a) you live in London and your job is at risk of redundancy or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit) and your monthly take home pay is less than £343. For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: CCFS01
Please choose a course date
Duration: 5 sessions (over 5 weeks)
What is the course about?
Learn about accounting topics such as balance sheets, profit and loss statements, accounting technology and accounting principles.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• The nature and objectives of accounting information
• Linking double entry principles & accounting
• Accounting principles/concepts underlying the preparation of accounts
• Balance sheet/position statement
•Categorisation of assets and liabilities
• Calculating depreciation using the straight line method and reducing balance method
• The income statement or profit and loss account
• Calculating the cost of goods sold.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Identify standard accounting concepts
• Apply a balance sheet equation
• Prepare financial statements
• Use methods of calculating depreciation
• Calculate profit and loss
• Calculate the cost of goods sold.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for beginners to accounting, some knowledge of bookkeeping would be helpful. Students should be able to understand basic mathematical calculations - add, subtract, multiply and divide. Students should also be able to read and understand written instructions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Notes will be provided electronically in Google Classroom. Students will be given exercises to complete outside of class time.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No other costs. A pen and paper to take notes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Introduction to Sage Accounts,Introduction to Sage Payroll or a Short introduction to Bookkeeping.
Fola has taught certified and noncertified Bookkeeping, Accounting& Finance, IT courses for over 10years in colleges and Adult Education Institutions. In addition to teaching and course-leading , she has the industry experience and has been able to leverage this in her teaching using practical experiences. She is passionate about International Development and continues to run projects abroad with colleagues with similar passion. She is a part-qualified accountant through her Chartered Secretaries & Administrator qualification (Finance stream). She has a degree in IT and is currently studying MBA
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.