Introduction to business accounting
Time: 18:15 - 21:15
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: CCFS02
Duration: 5 sessions (over 5 weeks)
What is the course about?
Learn about accounting topics such as balance sheets, profit and loss statements, accounting technology and accounting principles.
What will we cover?
- The Nature and Objectives of Accounting Information.
- Accounting Principles/Concepts underlying the preparation of accounts.
- Balance Sheet/Position Statement. Categorise the assets and liabilities.
- Calculating Depreciation using Straight Line Method, Reducing Balance Method
- Stock Valuation. Three main methods - FIFO, LIFO, AVCO.
- The Income Statement or Profit and Loss Account.
- Calculating Cost of Goods Sold.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand standard accounting concepts
- Understand balance sheets, distinguishing assets from liabilities
- Understand balance sheet equation
- Be able to use the 3 methods of calculating depreciation
- Be able to calculate profit and loss
- Calculate the cost of goods sold.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for beginners to accounting, although students should be able understand basic mathmatical calculations - add, subtract, multiply and divide. Students should also be able to read and understand written instructions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Students will be given exercises to complete outside of class time.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Students can bring a calculator if they wish.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please click here to view our business skills courses.
Fola has taught certified and noncertified Bookkeeping, Accounting& Finance, IT courses for over 10years in colleges and Adult Education Institutions. In addition to teaching and course-leading , she has the industry experience and has been able to leverage this in her teaching using practical experiences. She is passionate about International Development and continues to run projects abroad with colleagues with similar passion. She is a part-qualified accountant through her Chartered Secretaries & Administrator qualification (Finance stream). She has a degree in IT and is currently studying MBA
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.