Introduction to collage and mixed media
Time: 10:00 - 16:00
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: VH620
Duration: 4 sessions (over 5 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This Course introduces you to inventive and immediate ways of working with Papers, Collage and Mixed Media. This exciting and accessible medium brings great freedom of expression, experimentation and play, to explore personal ideas in diverse ways.
What will we cover?
You will be introduced to a variety of techniques, that enables you to experiment with different papers and materials, to create collaged 2 and 3 dimensional pieces.
• You will be working with the expressive use of - colour, texture, pattern, drawing, text, and photographic images, to create diverse paper surfaces, for collage.
• You will be introduced to the immediacy of quick observational drawing, to bring into collage work, as well as looking at ways of drawing that uses strips of painted papers.
• You will be working with different papers – new, old, text – faded, fragmented, mended etc., and incorporate drawn or painted lines, to create 2 or 3 dimensional relief surfaces. This will be explored further through paper manipulation - folding, scrunching, piercing, wetting, weaving, layering, sewing etc. whilst still retaining your drawn or stitched line.
• You will be introduced to the technical immediacy of Mono-printing, paper weaving, as well as paper, ink and painting surface alterations.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Understand the different qualities that can be achieved in Collage and Mixed Media - through working with varieties of papers and edges, painted, drawn and sewn surfaces, and contrasting scaled images and marks.
• Experiment with paper - wet, dry, folded, scrunched up, painted, torn, cut, pierced and stained etc.
This will bring an understanding of the need to incorporate paper qualities into collage, for greater depth and richness of relief surfaces.
• Understand how to incorporate precious and personal images into your work - letters, photos, historical documents etc., can produce work that captures personal stories, memories and greater emotions.
• Use some mono-printed techniques, bringing drawn, printed and replica textured surfaces to your work.
How to weave painted paper pieces to incorporate into your work.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
For beginners as well as those wanting to expand their knowledge and skills using mixed-media and collage. No particuler skills required except the willingness to experiment!
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Students are taught through group and individual tuition, as well as on going demonstrations. The Course is structured around creative projects and technique, with hand-outs, power point presentations, artists books, and demonstrations. At the end of the course, the group reflects on experiences learnt.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The course provides a wide selection of essential materials and equipment necessary. You can also bring with you any ‘found’ papers such as paper bags, florist papers, envelopes, weekend newspaper supplements, old books, photocopies of photos, letters, drawings etc., to bring a greater personal connection to your work. Advice will be given on the first session.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
VB640A & B Mixed Media and Drawing Projects, Contemporary Collage courses.
Rod Judkins is an artist and writer. He gained an MA at the Royal College of Art and has had numerous one man exhibitions across the world. He has also exhibited at Tate Britain, The National Portrait Gallery and The Royal Academy. He lectures on the subject of creativity at universities and to businesses around the world. His first book, Change Your Mind: 57 Ways to Unlock Your Creative Self and his second book, The Art of Creative Thinking, were international best sellers, with sales in hundreds of thousands and have been translated into over fifteen languages. He has delivered creative thinking workshops and talks to some of the worlds top companies such as Apple, Google, Bombay Sapphire and Samsung and to Medical Science students at University College London in The Royal Free Hospital for the last few years.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.