Introduction to dye techniques
Time: 10:30 - 16:30
Location: KS - Keeley Street
Course Code: VX375
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
What is the course about?
Enrich your textiles with these exciting dye workshops. Learn how to colour a wide range of natural fabrics; linen, cotton, silk, and wool. The structure of the course is ideal for beginners, or students whose skills may be rusty. The course will cover the basic elements of dyeing; shibori and dip-dye, simple natural dye techniques, dyeing mixed fibers, and indigo vat.
What will we cover?
• Types of fibres, and use of the correct dyes.
• Understanding how to mix Acid dye colours and Procion dye colours.
• Simple natural dyes and mordants.
• Mixing and using a synthetic indigo vat.
• Procedure for using the dyes safely.
• Shibori and dip-dye techniques.
• Making a dye reference book.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Recognise different types of fibres, and know which dyes are suitable to use.
• Safely mix and use a variety of dyes on a wide range of natural fibres.
• Make simple fold, pleat and wrap shibori patterns.
• Catalogue and organise dye samples into a technical file
More experienced learners should be able to also:
• Select dye shades, in order to obtain specific colour matches.
• Make more complex shibori patterns using overdyeing and resist techniques.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
• This course is for beginners. It is suitable for students new to textiles as well as for those who may have experience in other areas of textiles and who want to add another skill set.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Each session will involve demonstrations of new techniques, to enable students to understand how to mix dye-
baths for themselves. There will be plenty of opportunities to practice dyeing small sample pieces of fabric or
hanks of hanks of yarn. By the end of the course you will have created a collection of dyed samples, and
started to make a unique dye reference book.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Colour inspiration, if you want to try matching dye colours.
All basic material to dye will be provided, but you may wish to bring some extra pieces of fabric to supplement
and add contrast to the fabric provided. Natural fibers will dye the most successfully (cotton, linen, silk, wool).
Apron and gloves (there are some available to borrow). Wear sturdy shoes and old clothes – be prepared to get messy.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
• Textile print courses, using the coloured samples as a basis to print onto.
• Sewing courses; making accessories and garments from dyed samples.
• Digital design; scanning in the shibori pattern designs.
Lara is a printed textile designer, with a passion for colour, pattern and mark-making. She holds a degree in Fashion and Textile design from Brighton University, and a PgCert in teaching adults. Lara draws inspiration for her designs from landscapes, gardens and foliage. Her colourful and joyful hand-printed fabrics are lyrical and abstracted representations of this environment. She has sold work to major fashion brands, printed scarfs and hangings, and exhibited her intricately printed designs. Lara uses her eclectic repertoire of print, dye and design knowledge to research contemporary printing with natural dyes. These experimental prints inform and shape her current professional practice. Lara is a founding member of Ceres; an eco- conscious trio who collaborate on environmental and sustainable design projects. Lara enjoys sharing her creative ideas; and is short course tutor at University of the Arts London, West Dean College, and other education venues. At City Lit, she teaches a range of specialist courses that include; shibori and indigo, drawing for textile design, dye techniques, and natural dye printing.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.