Introduction to stretching and priming a canvas
Time: 10:00 - 13:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: VM433
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
What is the course about?
You will learn the technique of stretching a canvas around a frame in preparation for priming and painting. You will also learn how to stretch different types of paper for water-colour and other mediums for painting on paper.
We will explore different primers and grounds, such as gesso, and special primers for a variety of painting surfaces, as well as how to build up a layered ground with glazes.
Please bring your own stretcher frame (max size 60cm x 80cm) –
Canvas and other primers and mediums will be provided.
What will we cover?
- Techniques for stretching canvas around a frame
- Different types of primer for a variety of painting surfaces
- Priming and glazing techniques for different painting mediums, eg oils, acrylic, gouache or watercolour.
- The ways in which historical artists have prepared their supports and used mediums and glazing in their work.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use appropriate stretching materials to stretch a canvas around a stretcher frame.
- stretch different types of paper
- Use a range of priming techniques from oil based to water based primer.
- Use glazing techniques and glazing mediums to build up layers of paint
- Identify how other artists from different periods prepared their own painting surfaces.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, hand-outs and for health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Demonstration and practical application. One to one and group discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring your own stretcher frame (max size 60cm x 80cm) – canvas and mediums will be provided.
Other basic materials will be provided but you are welcome to bring any extra or special materials.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
A natural progression for students would be onto any of the City Lit painting courses such as Painting 1, 2 or 3 (depending on ability), or any of the Watercolour courses. Students could use their stretched and primed surfaces for their next course.