Italian 3: lingua e letteratura
Time: 11:00 - 13:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: LQN35
Duration: 8 sessions (over 8 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course is for intermediate learners of Italian who wish to improve their grammar and vocabulary by reading shorter, simpler texts (e.g. short novels/short stories/easy readers), chosen by the tutor and/or suggested by the students. In addition to the language studied, learners will discuss themes and characterisation in the chosen works of fiction, while in the case of non-fiction texts we will discuss the issues raised. Please note that the discussions will be conducted in Italian.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
The primary focus of the lessons will be discussing the texts read, but we will also use the texts as learning opportunities, looking at the grammar and vocabulary used.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- expand your knowledge of vocabulary
- give your opinion about a story and its characters
- give your opinion about topics from the book
- become familiar with a work of Italian literature-
- increase your exposure to a range of grammatical structures and verb tenses.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
To join this course, you should have studied Italian for three to four years. If you are currently studying at City Lit, you should be taking either Italian 3 Lower or Italian 3 Upper. You may be able to join and enjoy this course even if your Italian level is slightly lower – please email us if you you are unsure of whether you have the minimum necessary level.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course takes place online, via Zoom, and is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The texts we will be working on will be specified at the beginning of the course. When a course book is recommended please try: The Italian Bookshop - www.italianbookshop.co.uk.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Italian 3: Lingua e letteratura: module 2. Please enrol on the next module as soon as possible as spaces cannot be guaranteed.