Italian beginners: module 1
Time: 18:00 - 19:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
What is the course about?
This course aims to enable you to communicate in a basic way in situations related to holiday topics and everyday situations.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Topics: Introductions; greetings; talking about where you live; asking the way and understanding directions; food and drink; leisure; likes and dislikes; asking and telling the time.
Grammar: to be; to have; the present tense (regular forms), the immediate future; imperatives; adverbs of frequency; possessive pronouns.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- introduce yourself and others: name, nationality, occupation, family
- explain where you live
- give opinions about places
- order food and drink in a bar
- express likes and dislikes
- talk about what you do at the week-end
- ask and tell the time
- ask the way and give directions.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous knowledge of Italian is required. The course is suitable if you are an absolute beginner and wish to become familiar with the basics of the language through intensive tuition.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart, using the link at the top of this page. You can also find the chart at the start of the languages section in our course guide. You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and read course documents in English and be at ease with the use of number for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, etc).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Based on units 1-4 of Nuovo Espresso 1. (Alma Edizioni - Italian version). Please try: The Italian Bookshop - www.italianbookshop.co.uk (020 7240 1634).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
If there is sufficient interest and commitment, it is hoped that the Express Language Course will continue to the next level. Otherwise, the Languages Office or your tutor will advise you on a suitable progression route.