ITEC Level 3 Certificate in On-site Massage
Time: 10:00 - 17:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Check your level
Course Code: FQQ42A
Duration: 5 sessions (over 5 weeks)
What is the course about?
On-site massage is an energising treatment that reduces stress and boosts work performance, whilst the client remains fully clothed. It combines Shiatsu and Western massage techniques, incorporating acupressure points and meridians. This is an extensive course covering the theoretical and practical aspects of On Site Massage, as well as the causes of stress and stress management.
- You should be aware that a minimum of 80% attendance is necessary to complete the course.
- You are also expected to participate to the best of your ability
- You are expected to adhere to the colleges Equal Opportunities Policy while undertaking the course.
- The policies of the college will be discussed during the first session.
- Due to the nature of this course, you will not be entitled to transfer to a different course after the course has started.
Please note that you are required to obtain a First Aid Certificate whilst on the course or be working towards one:- City Lit offers one day Emergency First Aid at Work courses, awarding body CIEH (Chartered Institute of Environmental Health) which will suitable for your requirements (this is an additional course with separate fees).
What will we cover?
- Anatomy and physiology for Onsite massage
- Positive and negative stress, fight and flight syndrome and how stress affects the body
- Benefits of a healthy diet
- Benefits of exercise
- Consultation including contra-indications and appropriate client care
- 20 minute clothed on-site massage routine from a Shiatsu perspective including acupressure points.
- Students will be encouraged to monitor their own stress, using stress diaries and questionnaires to reflect on and to create action plans.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Identify contraindications to on-site massage
- Perform an on-site massage through clothing - working on head, neck, shoulders, back, arms and hands.
- Locate some useful acupressure points
- Recognise the physiological, emotional, psychological and behavioural effects of stress and signs and symptoms
- Practise a variety of methods to reduce stress in yourself and others.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No prior qualification is required, but you should have taken an introductory course in massage or have some previous experience.
You will also need to have sufficient literacy, numeracy and ICT skills to include:
Literacy and Numeracy skills to Level 1
Be able to use different texts to obtain and summarise information
Detect opinion, meaning and respond to points made within a text
Use different styles, format and structure, formal and informal for different purposes or audiences
Write complex sentences with few errors
Be able to listen to information and respond appropriately
Present information clearly and adapt verbal contributions to suit the audience and situation including discussions
Extract, interpret and create information from lists, tables, graphs and charts
Understand percentages and fractions, using halves and quarters
ICT (Information & communication technology):
-Using ICT systems – Windows, Microsoft Office
-Finding, selecting and exchanging information – (web, email)
-Working with word processing.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Theoretical and practical work
- Tutor presentation/power points
- Large group, small group and pair work
- Massage practice
- Stress diaries
- Case studies
YOU WILL REQUIRE A MINIMUM OF 3 - 5 HOURS WORK EACH WEEK OUTSIDE OF CLASS TIME
- You will need to find clients to undertake case studies outside of the class time.
- It is essential that you have access to a massage chair outside of class.
- You will need to also have access to a computer and the internet in order to research project work.
(facilities are available at City Lit)
This is a professional practitioner course. The use of ICT (Information & Communication Technology) skills is also required.
ALL ASSIGNMENTS, CASE STUDIES AND TREATMENT EVIDENCE FORMS MUST BE WORD PROCESSED.
City Lit is committed to the delivery of functional skills, the supported learning centre has various resources for students without access to computers or the internet. Support in using these facilities is also available.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You must wear a professional uniform for the practical elements and exams of all ITEC courses. You will be provided with a (unisex) uniform, the trousers have an elasticated drawstring waist. The cost of this uniform is included in the course fees
It is essential that you have access to a massage chair outside of class.
THE UNIFORM COSTS ARE INCLUDED IN THE COURSE FEES, THERE IS NO REDUCTION IN THE COURSE FEES FOR STUDENTS WISHING TO PROVIDE THEIR OWN UNIFORM. If students wish to provide their own uniform, it must meet the standards set by the institute.
- One large towel (any colour towel may be used during course, WHITE TOWELS MUST BE USED FOR FINAL EXAM)
- Antibacterial wet wipes
- two foolscap folders (one for course notes and one for case studies)
- some writing materials (note paper, pens, pencils, etc.)
Teach yourself managing stress,
Terry Looker & Olga Gregson by Terry Looker and Olga Gregson (Paperback - 26 Dec 2008) Can currently get these on Amazon used/new from £7.99 - £19.99
Succeeding in Business, Pip Hardy & Tony Sumner, EMS Publishing, (2008),
Seated Acupressure Bodywork (2006) Andrew Parfitt.
Any good book on stress is fine.
The exam fee is included in the course cost. This fee is non-refundable and the exams must be taken on the date set by the Institute.
As an accredited course you will be required to produce a portfolio of evidence. This may incur charges for printing, photocopying and stationary which is not included in the course fees.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Other ITEC accredited courses in Massage, Reflexology and Aromatherapy at the City Lit. Non acredited massage and Energy courses, Shiatsu introduction.
Oge is a body therapist and Healer. She has been a practising therapist for 16 years, treating clients with various massage therapies including holistic massage, sports and onsite massage, lymphatic drainage, Indian head massage, reflexology, and aromatherapy, in a variety of settings. She is also a Reiki Master, with particular interest in pet healing. Oge is currently tutor coordinator for the Health and Wellbeing department, as well as actively teaching and developing new courses . Her career in health began 20 years ago working within social care, specifically with children and adults with special needs After healing herself from a mystery illness, she understands how the body, mind and spirit truly work in harmony, and is passionate about bringing bodywork back to its healing roots, and improving wellbeing for everyone. Oge enjoys life
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.