ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Aromatherapy
Time: 10:00 - 16:45
Location: KS - Keeley Street
Many of our graduate therapists also find work in the NHS, hospice or other healthcare setting. This is an ideal course for those wishiing to work in the Health and Beauty industry.
Depending to COVID 19 some of the theoretical modules may be taught Online. The Theory and Practical elements will be taught in class. However, this may change due to COVID 19 and Government guidelines, which may move some untis online. At present, all units will be taught in class at City Lit.
The college will provide all necessary PPE required. Please complete an online application form, and read the full course outline before applying.
The course fee is £1489. If you are unable to pay this upfront, you can choose to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan from Student Finance England (SFE) to help cover the course fee, repayable after the course ends. A deposit of £100 is also payable to secure your place (refundable after you complete the course). You can find more information about the Advanced Learner Loan www.citylit.ac.uk/advanced-learner-loans
For more information, please call Health & wellbeing on 020 7492 2622.
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
This course has now started
Course Code: FQQ50
Duration: 28 sessions (over 33 weeks)
What is the course about?
This is an extensive course covering all theoretical and practical aspects of Aromatherapy. The course provides a progressive learning structure enabling you to reach the standard set out by ITEC syllabus and complete a practical exam. On successful completion of the course students will gain the ITEC (International Therapy Examination Council) Diploma in Aromatherapy which will allow a student to gain insurance via EMBODY and practise Aromatherapy professionally.
- You should be aware that a minimum of 80% attendance is necessary to complete the course.
- You are also expected to participate to the best of your ability
- You are expected to adhere to the colleges Equal Opportunities Policy while undertaking the course.
- The policies of the college will be discussed during the first session.
- Students will be required to undertake 60 case studies
- Due to the nature of this course, you will not be entitled to transfer to a different course after the course has started.
Please note that you are required to obtain a First Aid Certificate whilst on the course or be working towards one:- City Lit offers one day Emergency First Aid at Work courses, awarding body CIEH (Chartered Institute of Environmental Health) which will suitable for your requirements (this is an additional course with separate fees)
You must wear a professional uniform for the practical elements and exams of all ITEC courses. The cost of this uniform is included in the course fees. You will be provided with 2 sets of (unisex) uniform, the trousers have an elasticated drawstring waist.
THE UNIFORM COSTS ARE INCLUDED IN THE COURSE FEES, THERE IS NO REDUCTION IN THE COURSE FEES FOR STUDENTS WISHING TO PROVIDE THEIR OWN UNIFORM. If students wish to provide their own uniform, it must meet the standards set by the institute.
What will we cover?
- iUCT38: Knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathology for complementary therapies
- iUCT21: Principles and practice of complementary therapies
- iUCT34: Business practice for complementary therapies
- iUCT40: Provide aromatherapy for complementary therapies
The course is wide ranging and you will cover the following from the ITEC syllabus:
Theory: History, definition and development of Aromatherapy; concepts and theories as to how and why it works; therapeutic effects - psychological; philosophy of complementary medicine; essential oils - what they are and their countries of origin and how they are produced; therapeutic properties of essential oils; use, care and storage of oils, base oils and ancillary products, a knowledge of carrier oils and their effects and benefits, introduction to other natural therapies; simple blending of oils/synergies; dangers of overdose and safety considerations; contraindications - possible reaction to treatment for practitioner and client; professionalism and ethics, consultations, case histories and record keeping. Anatomy, physiology and pathology, ; basic knowledge and recognition of skin types; integral biology; priciples and practices of complementary therapies and business practices.
A good working knowledge of 42 essential oils; client/patient assessment procedures to include recognition of common ailments, physical/psychological health, posture, recognition of skin types; referral procedures for liaising with medical practitioners; aromatherapy massage - full body, facial, scalp; frequency and duration of treatment to suit individual requirements of the client; selection and blending of oils; consultation and case history taking and record keeping; other uses of essential oils; lymph drainage and pressure points; use of creams, masques, compresses, clay pots and bath oils; and methods of application ( massage, inhalation, burners etc.).
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Prepare yourself and an appropriate treatment environment in accordance with current legislation and working practice
- Consult with clients, recognise and evaluate contraindications and precautions and recognise referral procedures
- Perform and be able to adapt aromatherapy treatments where necessary
- Blend and apply essential oils
- Identify methods of extraction, chemical constituents, storage and blending techniques of over 42 oils
- Utilise a variety of treatment methods to include: massage, compresses, inhalation, clay work
- Detail the history, philosophy and role of Aromatherapy and evaluate its physiological and psychological effects
- Explain the structure, function and nature of plants in relation to essential and fixed oils and other media
- Provide suitable after care advice
- Reach the standard required to sit the theory and practical examinations set by ITEC.
On successful completion of the course, students should be able to set up in practice as an Aromatherapist, working within a standard code of professional ethics enabling them to obtain professional insurance to practise.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a Level 3 course. There are no prerequisites required. However, due to the intensity of this course we strongly advise that you enrol onto the following courses: Introductory bodywork course; Introductory/Access to ITEC Anatomy and Physiology course.
You will also need to have sufficient literacy, numeracy and ICT skills to include:
Reading: Be able to use different texts to obtain and summarise information; Detect opinion, meaning and respond to points made within a text.
Writing: Use different styles, format and structure, formal and informal for different purposes or audiences; Write complex sentences with few errors.
Speaking/listening: Be able to listen to information and respond appropriately; Present information clearly and adapt verbal contributions to suit the audience and situation including discussions.
Numeracy/Maths: Extract, interpret and create information from lists, tables, graphs and charts; Understand percentages and fractions, using halves and quarters.
ICT (Information and communication technology): Use ICT systems including Windows, Microsoft Office; Find, select and exchange information using web and email; Work with word processing.
Please note that as a Practitioner you are required to obtain a First Aid Certificate whilst or be working towards one; City Lit offers one day Emergency First Aid at Work courses.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, hand-outs and for health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
Please look at the rest of the course outline carefully to decide if you may benefit from support in your English and Maths skills to help you to take part fully in this class.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Group work
- Practical sessions
- Pair work
YOU WILL REQUIRE A MINIMUM OF 5 - 10 HOURS WORK EACH WEEK OUTSIDE OF CLASS TIME PLUS A FURTHER 2.5 HOURS PER WEEK TO COMPLETE AND WRITE UP TREATMENT EVIDENCE
- You will need to find clients to undertake case studies outside of the class time.
- It is essential that you have access to a massage couch outside of class.
- You will need to also have access to a computer and the internet in order to research project work.
(facilities are available at City Lit)
This is a professional practitioner course including business elements. The use of ICT (Information & Communication Technology) skills is also required.
ALL ASSIGNMENTS, CASE STUDIES AND TREATMENT EVIDENCE FORMS MUST BE WORD PROCESSED.
City Lit is committed to the delivery of functional skills, the supported learning centre has various resources for students without access to computers or the internet.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
- Two towels (any colour towel may be used during course, WHITE TOWELS MUST BE USED FOR FINAL EXAM)
- couch cover (any colour may be used during course, WHITE MUST BE USED FOR FINAL EXAM)
- Massage mediums & essential oils (please see notes below)
- ANTIBACTERIAL wet wipes
- two foolscap folders (one for course notes and one for case studies)
- some writing materials (note paper, pens, pencils, etc.)
COURSE BOOKS - An Introductory Guide to Aromatherapy by Louise Tucker - further recommended reading will be provided by the tutor.
YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE YOUR OWN OILS WHICH IS A SUBSTANTIAL COST
You can purchase a kit of aromatherapy oils from www.naturaltoucharomatherapy.com
Kit 13 ITEC 42 Essential Oils mainly 10 ml £195.00
Upgrade your kit with a light/dark wood 28 hole storage box for £26.50 or two tier practitioners box for £75
Please note, these details are provided for your information only, City Lit is not responsible for any purchases. OTHER SUPPLIERS ARE AVAILABLE.
YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE your own shoes, white towels and other resources for the examination.
The exam fee is included in the course cost. This fee is non-refundable and the exams must be taken on the date set by the Institute.
As an accredited course you will be required to produce a portfolio of evidence. This may incur charges for printing, photocopying and stationary which is not included in the course fees.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Other professional bodywork courses and CPD. Setting up your own practice.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.