ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Massage: fast-track
Time: 10:00 - 16:45
Location: Kean Street Wellbeing Centre
The course fee is £1579 payable at the time of your enrolment. If you are unable to pay the course fees, you can choose to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan from Student Finance England (SFE) to help cover the course fee, repayable after the course ends. You can find more information about the Advanced Learner Loan www.citylit.ac.uk/advanced-learner-loans
For more information, please call Health & Wellbeing on 020 7492 2622.
Check your level
Course Code: FQQ07
Available start dates
Duration: 12 sessions (over 12 weeks)
What is the course about?
Completing this course will earn you an ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Massage and the ability to work in the field of complementary therapy as either an employed or self-employed practitioner. The course covers the theory and practical aspects of massage therapy including body systems, massage techniques, and anatomy physiology and pathology.
It is an intensive course and you will be guided and supported by your tutor throughout the course. Sessions are interactive and fun, making learning enjoyable.
Please note that your exam dates are set by ITEC, and cannot be changed.
What will we cover?
This is an integrated course consisting of four units:
• iUCT38 - Knowledge of Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology for Complementary Therapies
• iUCT24 - Provide Body Massage for Complementary Therapies
• iUCT21- Principles and Practice of Complementary Therapists
• iUCT34 - Business Practice for Complementary Therapies.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Name the structures and functions of the 11 body systems
• Explain the interdependence of the body systems, and how each system responds to massage
• Recognise and name the symptoms and causes of common pathological conditions that can affect each system
• Perform a full body massage in a commercially accepted time.
• Use the practical and theoretical skills required to provide massage treatments for the purposes of relaxation and stress release
• Take a client consultation and gather the necessary information to provide a client-specific treatment and aftercare
• Recognise when not to massage (knowledge of contra indications)
• Understand the concept of contra actions (healing crisis)
• Compare and differentiate between the different complementary therapies
• Have a basic understanding of building and maintaining your own business practice
• Have a good working knowledge of the regulations and legislation to safeguard and implement health and safety within a complementary practice.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a Level 3 course. There are no prerequisites required, however, due to the intensity of the course we recommend that you attend one, or both, of the following courses prior to enrolling on this course:
'Massage: Access to level 3' or 'Massage: an introduction' - a six week, or shorter introduction to massage basics
'Anatomy and Physiology; access to level 3' - a six week introduction to the body systems
You will also need to have sufficient literacy, numeracy and ICT skills to complete assignments to the required standard. If you are unsure whether you meet the required standard, please contact the department on Health@citylit.ac.uk.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Teaching methods include lectures, discussions, PowerPoint presentation, group work, Q&A, role play, demonstrations, practical and pair work.
A minimum of ten hours of home study per week is essential to successfully complete this course.
You will also need access to a massage couch, find clients to undertake case studies outside of the classroom time, and have access to a computer and the internet to research and write up your course projects.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to purchase the following items to bring to class -
• Massage oil (sweet almond or grapeseed)
• Course books
• Folders for handouts
• Pen and paper
You will also need access to a massage couch to undertake treatments outside of the classroom time.
The college will provide towels for practice and exams. You will need your own towels for performing treatments on clients outside of City Lit.
The college will also provide each student with one (non-gender specific) scrub uniform.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Expand your skills with other professional practitioner courses such as: Deep Tissue Massage; Advanced Massage Techniques; On Site Massage; Indian Head Massage; Lymphatic Drainage Massage; or one of our many CPD courses.
Oge is a body therapist and Healer. She has been a practising therapist for 16 years, treating clients with various massage therapies including holistic massage, sports and onsite massage, lymphatic drainage, Indian head massage, reflexology, and aromatherapy, in a variety of settings. She is also a Reiki Master, with particular interest in pet healing. Oge is currently tutor coordinator for the Health and Wellbeing department, as well as actively teaching and developing new courses . Her career in health began 20 years ago working within social care, specifically with children and adults with special needs After healing herself from a mystery illness, she understands how the body, mind and spirit truly work in harmony, and is passionate about bringing bodywork back to its healing roots, and improving wellbeing for everyone. Oge enjoys life
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.