Iyengar Yoga: beginners
Time: 17:30 - 18:45
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: FGD99
Duration: 12 sessions (over 12 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course offers an introduction to Iyengar Yoga practice. You will learn correct alignment and use a variety of yoga equipment to support you and deepen your learning.
Yoga increases body and breath awareness; it improves posture and increases stamina and flexibility, enhancing our quality of breathing and range of movement. It also teaches how to release tensions which help reduce stress in our daily life.
Attending a weekly yoga class will improve your general health and well being. Regular practice of yoga has been proven to have a beneficial effect on general health. Enter the class feeling tired and stiff, leave refreshed, relaxed and energized.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Standing, sitting and lying down postures, including forward and back bends
- Easy inverted (upside-down) postures
- Postures will be adapted and alternatives offered to suit students level of experience and ability.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Increase your observation skills
- Follow the teacher's instructions and demonstrations
- Improve your body awareness
- Practise relaxation with guidance
- Describe some benefits of yoga
- Obtain improved flexibility, strength, stamina and peace of mind.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This class is suitable for complete beginners, regardless of age, gender and fitness level. You will need to be able
to follow verbal instructions, observe and copy physical movements and use spatial awareness within a group.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Demonstration and practice
- Imitating teacher's demonstration
- Verbal instruction
- Physical adjustment (optional)
- Questions and answers
- Mini lecture.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Yoga equipment including mats will be provided.
Please wear loose, comfortable clothing and bring something to keep you warm during relaxation. Postures are
performed barefoot. Please keep jewellery and perfume to a minimum.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
- Progression to a mixed levels course at City Lit, or
- Yoga holidays, weekends etc.
- Students need 2 years of beginner/mixed levels classes before joining an Intermediate class.
- Students could, however, after 4 weeks, begin regular daily practice and progress more rapidly.
- Home practice is encouraged to enhance progress and enjoy the benefits of your Yoga practice.
For dedicated students, after 3 years of regular practice and continuous class attendance, progression to a
recognised Iyengar Teacher training course (e.g. at the Iyengar Yoga Institute in Maida Vale).
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on
Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
Irina is an experienced and thoughtful Iyengar Yoga teacher. She has been teaching and practising Iyengar Yoga with the leading teachers of the UK and Russia, and completed her first study trip to India in 2011. Irina first came in contact with yoga as a child through books to improve her posture, through which she corrected her scoliosis. Then 15 years ago she started practising Iyengar Yoga in St Petersburg, Russia. After moving to London she qualified as an Iyengar Yoga teacher. Since then she has been teaching at Citylit and in her own practice in East London, Baillirina Yoga https://www.baillirinayoga.co.uk/ For her the best thing about teaching yoga is to help students trust their own bodies and their capacity to restore and heal. She enjoys when students feel more capable and confident.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.