Time: 11:00 - 13:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now started
Course Code: ME909
Duration: 5 sessions (over 5 weeks)
What is the course about?
A jazz approach to flute playing. Enjoy exploring jazz style and playing skills in a group.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- jazz flute technique: sound production, articulation and effects, jazz and latin rhythms and phrasing
- chord/scale relationships (harmony) and guide tones
- playing standard and non-standard tunes and soloing with backing tracks. Tutor: Angele Veltmeijer.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- have improved your understanding of how and what to practice and listen to
- have increased your understanding of chords and scales and how they relate
- be more confident about interpreting jazz tunes
- be more confident about soloing over a chord sequence.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You will need a working knowledge of scales and arpeggios on the instrument. Students should have completed at least the level 2 flute course but more experienced players will also benefit from this session if they are new to jazz playing. You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
In a class situation, with tutor demonstration, music handouts and backing tracks,playing your flute along with your tutor.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Play your flute, and have manuscript and a pencil.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offers Flute courses up to advanced level.
You may be also interested in Jazz harmony and ear training studies.
Angèle Veltmeijer is a multi-instrumentalist who plays flute, clarinet, saxophone and keyboards. She enjoys playing a wide variety of musics, from folk to jazz and circus to West African highlife. She has performed and toured in Europe and Africa, playing in venues ranging from the Royal Albert Hall to many local venues. She has played live and recorded with Ivy Benson, Orchestra Jazira, Brian Kennedy, Annie Whitehead, Jimmy Somerville, Carol Grimes, Bessa, Alfred Karri Bannerman, Bob Graham, and Big Bands including lead alto in Morley College jazz orchestra, Studio 9 Orchestra, Sussex Jazz Orchestra, Brighton Big Band. Her own ensembles include Angèle Veltmeijer Quartet and Angel’s Horns. Angèle composes and arranges, and her music has been played and recorded by several of the line-ups she has been associated with. Angèle learned to play the saxophone at City Lit with Kathy Stobart whose firm yet compassionate teaching has remained an inspiration. Angèle enjoys passing on the thrill of making music. At City Lit she has taught saxophone, flute, jazz and pop piano, musicianship, jazz improvisation and transcription.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.