Jazz harmony: introduction
Time: 19:00 - 21:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now started
Course Code: MG600
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
What is the course about?
Learn about the harmonic structures that are essential to jazz : 7th chords and their chord symbols as found in the Real book.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Melody: intervals, major scale and modes, blues scale.
- Harmony: triads, inversions, 7th chords, notation, chord scale relationships
- Repertoire: we'll look at well known standards.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand and use major scale in diatonic sequences
- Understand and use blues scale in blues sequences
- Understand and use chords I - VII from major scale.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should already understand basic harmony (triads, major and minor scale construction); be able to read and write music; be at a good standard on your instrument or with your voice, and capable of playing scales and arpeggios.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English, engage in class discussions and take notes in English and staff notation.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Interactive lecture-style teaching with frequent opportunities for discussion. You will be asked to read, write and play harmonic structures.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will play your instrument and use manuscript paper in every session.
Additional reading or internet research may be suggested as the course progresses.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Suitable progression may include the foundation jazz course, jazz piano or jazz guitar.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.