Large-scale drawing and painting projects
Time: 10:00 - 17:00
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: VH574
Available start dates
Duration: 5 sessions
What is the course about?
Explore different approaches to making large work using a variety of techniques and methods. Working to a set brief each week, respond to a number of stimuli including objects, found images, your sketches and imagination. Consider how scale affects composition, proportion and mark-making as well as how to use drawing and painting materials when working on big pieces.
What will we cover?
- Experimenting with a variety of large formats
- Scaling up preliminary sketches and studies
- Techniques to create large work using the floor, wall and other supports
- Artists who have created large scale work and their methods of making and display.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Create a range of work in a variety of large-scale formats
- Work with more confidence when planning and making large work
- Identify artists working on a large-scale, their methods and motivations.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for students with some drawing and painting experience.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Mini lectures, set projects and briefings, individual and collaborative work and group discussions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Paper and standard materials are provided including charcoal, ink, graphite, pastel, chalk and acrylics. You may bring in canvas - stretched or unstretched. Please wear comfortable clothes to allow easy movement. Feel free to bring your sketchbook or work that you’re interested in developing further.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Develop your art practice further with more of our art and design courses. Try other specialist drawing and painting courses or consider longer courses including Extended Drawing for Artists and Makers, the City Lit Fine Art course or our Developing your fine art practice course. For more information, please browse the website or speak to a member of the art and design team – call 020 7 492 2700 or email email@example.com.