Latin 1: module 2
Time: 18:00 - 19:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: RL816
Duration: 11 sessions (over 11 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course is designed to extend your fluency in reading and translating Latin sentences and to give you a greater knowledge of grammatical structures. We will use Reading Latin, by Peter Jones and Keith Sidwell (2 volumes), starting around section 1C.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We will cover grammatical structures including:
- present indicative
- present infinitive
- declension of nouns and adjectives
We will also continue reading an adaptation of Aulularia, a play by Plautus.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- demonstrate a good knowledge of the present indicative
- conjugate regular and irregular verbs in the imperative mood
- identify the present infinitive active
- have some insights into the derivation of English words
- demonstrate some knowledge on the world of ancient Rome.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have completed Latin 1 module 1 at City Lit or have studied Latin for approximately one term. As the course is taught in English, please read the outline carefully to decide if you may benefit from support with your English skills to help you take part fully in this class.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course consists of translation, grammar instructions and grammar exercises with a high level of student interaction (individual, pair and group work). Students are expected to do the homework regularly and participate in oral classroom activities. Homework will require approx. 1-2 hours per week. Homework tasks will be posted on Google Classroom each week.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Bring writing material.
Textbook: “Reading Latin” by Peter Jones & Keith Sidwell, 2nd edition, Cambridge University Press, 2 volumes:
- Grammar and Exercises (ISBN 9781107632264)
- Text and Vocabulary’ (ISBN 9781107618701).
An e-book version can also be purchased. We recommend you purchase the book after the first session of the course, after you’ve had confirmation that the class is suitable for you.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Latin 1: module 2.