Time: 18:00 - 19:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now started
What is the course about?
You will improve your fluency in reading and translating Latin as well as your knowledge of the grammar.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We will be reading selections from Apuleius’ Metamorphoses.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- demonstrate greater knowledge of Latin grammar;
- translate original prose with greater confidence and read with greater fluency;
- translate original poetry by Apuleius and appreciate themes, language and style of his poetry.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have studied Latin for four years. As this course is taught in English, you should be able to follow verbal and written instructions in English and also take part in class and group discussions on readings. Please look at the rest of the course outline carefully to decide if you may benefit from support with your English skills to help you take part fully in this class.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Whole class work and group work; translation and grammar exercises; tutor posing questions and answering questions raised by the students. About 2-3 hours homework per week.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The course texts are available freely online and will be distributed by the instructor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Continue with your Latin 5 class in January.