Level 3 certificate in BSL
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: QB331
Available start dates
Duration: 33 sessions (over 40 weeks)
What is the course about?
This qualification is designed to enable you to communicate with Deaf people in BSL at level 3. We will look at a range of topics that include:
- everyday language
- fluency in the use of BSL at level 3 in a variety of situations, topics and registers in productive and receptive skills
- advanced knowledge of the structure and function of BSL
- an understanding of the Deaf Community and its culture and relevant issues.
What will we cover?
You will learn productive, receptive and conversational skills at advanced level in a wide range of topics:
- home life
- social / recreational activities
- education and training
- consumer issues and daily living
- Deaf history and culture.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- develop an advanced knowledge of the structure and function of British Sign Language and an understanding of the Deaf Community and Deaf Culture and a good practice in particular areas of professional activity
- develop knowledge and skills in BSL Linguistics and Grammar
- follow conversations and discussions delivered at normal speed on a range of topics in different work and social situations
- contribute BSL in a range of work-related and social situations
To achieve the full level 3 certificate in BSL you will need to pass all three exam units. These are: Formal presentation, Informal conversation and receptive skills task. All units are externally assessed by Signature assessors.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is designed for those who already have competence in Signature's BSL level 2 examination and have been recommended to level 3 in BSL.
You will be required to have basic literacy skills, as you will be asked to write some self-evaluations and notes as part of the preparation for the presentations and Sign Language assessments, as well as read instructions for exercises and assessment marking criteria.
An interview will be required before enrolment, to assess your signing. You will need to bring a copy of your Level 2 in BSL certificate on the interview day.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Teaching methods may include
- classroom interaction
- pair / group work
- role play / simulation
- group discussion
- watching video clips for receptive skills
Utilising resources and materials uploaded onto Google Classroom – accessed through your student account.
A considerable amount of additional home study will be required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Examination fees are included in the course fees.
'SignworldLearn' on-line resource is included in the course fee.
You will need a smartphone for filming, research and access to Google Classroom.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
If you successfully pass the Signature Level 3 assessments, you can apply for Level 4 in BSL.
Pat has been teaching BSL Level 1 and 2 for the last 10 years starting in 1990 and it is her passion. She qualified on the Signing Teachers Training Course at City Lit in 1990 and continued to teach staff BSL Levels 1, 2 and 3 at a Deaf school, also taught at Adult Education Centres in Kent for the 10 years. Pat trained as an assessor for BSL Level 1 where she travelled around the country even to Jersey and Guernsey to assess students’ Level 1 signing skills. Pat studied Deaf Studies at the Open University where she studied BSL linguistics, culture, education and mental health. In 1996, Pat was BSL teacher at Oak Lodge School for the deaf where she developed a Deaf Studies curriculum and other subjects and taught for many years. Pat is Deaf and uses BSL as her preferred language and has a Deaf brother who is also a native BSL signer.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.