Level 3 certificate in BSL
Time: 10:00 - 16:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: QB332
Please choose a course date
Duration: 20 sessions (over 25 weeks)
What is the course about?
This qualification is designed to enable you to communicate with Deaf people in BSL at level 3 on a range of topics that include everyday language used in the:
- fluency in the use of BSL at level 3 in a variety of situations, topics and registers in productive and receptive skills
- advanced knowledge of the structure of BSL
- appreciation of the Deaf Community and its culture and relevant issues
- practical experience in a productive working environment.
What will we cover?
You will learn productive, receptive and conversational skills at advanced level in a wide range of topics:
- home life
- social / recreational activities
- education and training
- consumer issues and daily living
- Deaf history and culture.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- develop an advanced knowledge of the structure and function of British Sign Language and an understanding
of the Deaf Community and Deaf Culture and a good practice in particular areas of professional activity
- develop knowledge and skills in BSL Linguistics and Grammar
- follow conversations and discussions delivered at normal speed on a range of topics in different work
and social situations
- contribute BSL in a range of work-related and social situations
To achieve the full level 3 certificate in BSL you will need to pass all three exam units. These are:
Assessment 1 (3ASS1) : a formal presentation by the candidate to their teacher. The presentation will focus on a topic title provided by Signature.
Assessment 2 (3ASS2): :an informal conversation between the candidate and the teacher. The conversation will focus on a topic title provided by Signature.
Assessment 3 (3ASS3): receptive skills task where the candidate will be assessed on their understanding of a story based on one or more of the topics in the Qualification Specification.
All units are externally assessed by Signature assessors.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is designed for those who already have competence in Signature's BSL level 2 examination and
have been recommended to level 3 in BSL.
You will be required to have basic literacy skills as you will be asked to write some self-evaluations and notes as
part of the preparation for the presentations and Sign Language assessments, as well as read instructions for
An interview will be required before enrolment, to assess your signing. You will need to bring a copy of your
Level 2 in BSL certificate on the interview day.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Teaching methods may include
- classroom interaction
- pair / group work
- role play / simulation
- other activities
- group discussion
- watching video clip for receptive skills
A considerable amount of additional home study will be required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Examination fees are included in the course fees.
'SignworldLearn' on-line resource is included in the course fee.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
If you successfully pass the Signature Level 3 assessments you can apply for Level 4 in BSL.