Level 3 certificate in BSL
Time: 10:00 - 16:00
The course fee is £1211, plus an upfront fee of £188 payable at the time of your enrolment.
If you are unable to pay the course fee upfront, you can choose to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan from Student Finance England (SFE) to help cover the cost, repayable after the course ends. You can find more information about the Advanced Learner Loan www.citylit.ac.uk/advanced-learner-loans
If you are unable to pay the upfront fee, you can talk to our Information, Advice and Guidance team who will advise you on other financial support available. You can contact the Advice and Guidance Team by phone on 020 7492 2500 or by email: email@example.com
For more information, please call Sign Language and Lipreading (pre 1920) on 020 7492 2725.
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Sorry, this date is now full
What is the course about?
This qualification is designed to enable you to communicate with Deaf people in BSL at level 3 on a range of topics that include everyday language used in the:
- fluency in the use of BSL at level 3 in a variety of situations, topics and registers in productive and receptive skills
- advanced knowledge of the structure of BSL
- appreciation of the Deaf Community and its culture and relevant issues
- practical experience in a productive working environment.
What will we cover?
You will learn productive, receptive and conversational skills at advanced level in a wide range of topics:
- home life
- social / recreational activities
- education and training
- consumer issues and daily living
- Deaf history and culture.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Develop an advanced knowledge of the structure and function of British Sign Language and an understanding of the Deaf Community and Deaf Culture and a good practice in particular areas of professional activity
• Develop knowledge and skills in BSL Linguistics and Grammar
• Able to follow conversations and discussions delivered at normal speed on a range of topics in different work and social situations
• Able to contribute BSL in a range of work-related and social situations
To achieve the full level 3 certificate in BSL you will need to pass all three exam units. These are:
Assessment unit 1 – Formal Presentation
Assessment unit 2 – Informal Conversation
Assessment unit 3 – Receptive Skills
The assessments may take place either online or face to face. If the assessment takes place online, it will be via Zoom.
All units are externally assessed by Signature assessors.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
• This course is designed for those who already have competence in Signature's BSL level 2 examination and have been recommended to level 3 in BSL.
• You will be required to have basic literacy skills as you will be asked to write some self-evaluations and notes as part of the preparation for the presentations and Sign Language assessments, as well as read instructions for exercises.
• You will be invited to a 1-1 interview with our BSL Level 3 co-ordinator to make sure that this course is suitable for you. The interview will take place via Zoom.
You will need to bring a copy of your Level 2 in BSL certificate on the interview day.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course will delivered using ‘blended learning’. This is a combination of classroom based learning, remote learning and self-study.
Teaching methods in the classroom may include
• Pair and small group work
• Questions and answers
• Presentation practice
• 1 to 1 conversation practice
• Develop receptive skills using video clips.
• 1 to 1 feedback sessions with your teacher
• Classroom interaction
• Role play/simulation
• Group discussion
You will be expected to practice your BSL skills at home as homework. You will have access to resources on the Signworld online which you will be asked to refer to for homework – there are no additional costs for this.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Examination fees are included in the course fees.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
If you successfully pass the Signature Level 3 assessments you can apply for Level 4 in BSL.
Emma has been teaching for more than 25 years. At City Lit she teaches Level 3 and Level 4 in BSL, and has previously taught BSL Level 1 and 2. She has also delivered National Curriculum BSL to Deaf children from nursery age to year 6 at Blanche Nevile School in North London. She is chair of the Association of British Sign Language Teachers and Assessors (ABSLTA). She established the ‘BSL News’ Facebook group, currently with nearly 5,000 followers! Emma has taught BSL, from Introduction to Level 4 at a range of settings and organisations, including: Chicken Shed Theatre, Blanche Nevile School and City Lit. In 2018, Emma was chosen by Signature as their ‘Excellent Teacher’ in their Annual Awards! She was also nominated as one of the top teachers working in Haringey Education Authority in 2016. Emma was the staff representative on the board of Governors at Blanche Nevile School. Emma has one Deaf and one hearing sister and has links to other Deaf organisations through her parent. Her mother, Winifred Tumim was chair of the board of trustees of RNID (now Action on Hearing Loss) and CACDP (previous name for Signature) during the 1980s and 1990s.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.