Life drawing after work
Time: 18:30 - 20:30
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: VM419
Please choose a course date
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
What is the course about?
Working with a variety of life models, you will be shown ways of drawing using light and shadow and methods to measure proportion. You will draw in various materials including charcoal and pencil, making drawings from standing, sitting and reclining poses for varying lengths of time, you will gain a good foundation in life drawing skills.
What will we cover?
- Each week you will be taken through a different project, you will look at proportions of the body and the use of tone and line in representing the life model.
- Your tutor will give you drawing exercises designed to improve your observational and in particular figure and portrait drawing skills.
- We will look at the historical context of life drawing and look at examples of successful figure drawing.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use a range of drawing materials and techniques in the context of life drawing
- Representing a range of tone (light and dark) in the human form
- Gain confidence to progress to further drawing classes
- Explore 'foreshortening' techniques
- Improve accuracy drawing body proportions vsdgss
- Build increased confidence in observational drawing generally.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous life drawing experience needed, some very basic drawing experience either on a course, or in your own time would help, This is an introduction to working directly from life, from the nude figure.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Practical work in the studio, with an introduction to each session, and demonstration by the tutor. Individual tutoring with regular feedback and some discussion in the group. Work outside the class is optional.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All drawing materials will be provided. Please wear old clothes or overall in the studio.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The natural progression from this course is VH906 Life drawing after work part 2 : intermediate to advanced.