Life drawing and painting studio
Time: 10:00 - 13:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: VM702
Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course allows you to explore at your own pace, drawing and painting the nude figure from life. An experienced tutor is on hand to facilitate the pose and art materials, share artist images to inspire, discuss options with the students and help with ideas and techniques if desired. Each student can work independently, however the tutor will also give optional mini lessons, exploring the essential elements of drawing and painting the figure from observation, including colour-mixing, understanding the effects of tone, proportion and measurement as well as looking at general studio practice.
What will we cover?
• Drawing and painting from observation of the life model
• Using oil paint
• Using acrylic paint
• Colour mixing
• Working with tone, (i.e. light and dark)
• Proportion and measurement
• Developing personal life and portrait projects.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Be more confident in working independently on a life drawing or painting
• Be conversant with a number of strategies when starting a drawing or painting of the nude figure from observation
• Be clearer as to what your personal goals are in working with the figure
• Be familiar with a range of contemporary and historical artist’s images involving the nude figure.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is designed for students with some experience in drawing and painting, but not necessarily in life painting skills.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course involves optional practical demonstrations, slide talks, individual guidance and group discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
We will be working on primed paper, but if students prefer they can bring in their own canvas boards or canvasses.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The course continues in the same slot on Saturdays for three terms so it is possible to continue from one term to the next exploring this fascinating genre. Otherwise there is a whole host of life drawing or portraits courses each term such as VH854/892 Anatomical Life and Portrait studio, VM847 Drawing and painting from life: extended study and VH753 City Lit year of the figure and portrait.