Life painting weekend: expressive approaches
Time: 10:00 - 17:00
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: VM447
Duration: 2 sessions
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
The course will focus on developing self-expression through the use of composition, paint handling, tone and colour. A wide range of artists who have been inspired to paint the figure expressively from life will be a source of study, as we consider how the process of painting and also the residue of layered responses, can form a basis for self-expression. Not all of the time will be spent in front of the model, as you will also be encouraged to consider the importance of such things as mixing colour, considering meaningful mark-making and texures and exploring the rigors of decision making to find solutions that help you best express your response to the model.
What will we cover?
- Draw more expressively from observation
- Make drawings of the figure in line and tone
- Use a variety of drawing materials
- Look at and take inspiration from the work of artists who have an expressive painting approach
- How to develop a range of expressive mark-making in painting
- How to make a more expressive response in paint
- How to mix colours
- How to apply paint to the surface
- Looking at Expressionist artists.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Experiment with colour mixing
- Use a variety of mark-making techniques
- Use a variety of paint handling techniques
- Feel confident to express yourself in drawing and painting
- Respond to the approaches of expressive painters.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, hand-outs and for health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Demonstration and practical application. One to one and group discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic materials will be provided but you are welcome to bring any extra or special materials.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Any of the further life drawing and painting classes depending on your level, including VH753 The City Lit Year of the Figure and Portrait.