Lipreading and managing hearing loss: beginners 2
Time: 11:00 - 12:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now started
What is the course about?
Learn how to recognise some sounds that are visible on the lips and how to use other tactics to support lipreading.
The class is taught live each week on Zoom. Your tutor will also provide support material, such as handouts or links, using Google Classroom.
To access the live class you will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook).
- Please note a tablet or smart phone are not suitable for this class. The screen size is too small. It will limit your ability to lipread and participate fully in class.
We will contact you by email with joining instructions before your course starts. There will be an optional induction session before the first lesson if you need support with Zoom or Google Classroom.
What will we cover?
- learn which sounds can be seen, which look alike and why.
- develop an awareness of other skills used to lipread:
memory, concentration, observation, awareness of rhythm, situation, context, facial expression and body language.
This course will also give you strategies to manage situations that can be difficult with hearing loss as well as provide information on services and equipment that could helpful.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- recognise visible speech sounds including less visible consonants and simple vowel sounds
- be able to describe what a substitution is and explain why it occurs
- understand the process of lipreading and the various skills used
- understand the factors that make lipreading easier.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You will have an acquired hearing loss and use spoken English to communicate with others.
Straightforward written sentences are used in exercises and on the screen to confirm spoken words. This course is for learners who have already attended a short introduction course in lipreading or who have previously taken a beginners’ course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
In class there will be group work, pair work, practical work, lecture, demonstration and discussion.
This will be taught through a mixture of live streaming on Zoom and online content provided on Google Classroom.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a pen and notebook and a small mirror to the session.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
From this course you will be able to progress to other lipreading classes of whatever level decided by mutual agreement and discussion.