London photography: wildlife in the city
Time: 10:00 - 16:00
Location: Off Site
Meet at the Albert memorial Kiosk in Kensington Gardens. Meeting point.
Course Code: VY425
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
This one day workshop will be an opportunity to make images of landscapes, flora and fauna in the company of an experienced wildlife, landscape and environmental photographer. There will be a few surprises along the way. The course will provide you with the space, literal and metaphorical, to hone your photography skills and thinks about the principles and skills that will help you make photographs that tell a story. There will be quite a lot of walking involved so make sure you wear comfortable shoes and are able to walk and stand. You can always bring a foldaway stool with your equipment.
What will we cover?
- techniques and tips on how to take interesting images including framing, panning, positioning, blur, focusing, use of natural light, metering, depth of field and camera settings.
- how to develop a project or single image that tells a story.
- conceptual ideas for developing your photography in the areas of landscape and environment.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- identify appropriate equipment and how to use it to photograph your chosen subjects
- use photographic techniques including focus, metering, use of natural lighting and weather, styles such as fill frame, detail and wide angle shots
- have increased confidence in photographing your subject and how best to photograph them in varying condi-tions
- use storytelling techniques to help you decide on the best shot for a project or single shot.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
All skill levels.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
In the field - there will be group discussions and opportunities for one-to-ones for those that require them during the day.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please remember your camera with a fully charged battery and lots of space on your camera card. Please bring your Oyster Card for travel on the bus.
Rachel is an award-winning professional photographer and film maker. She has displayed her work in various parts in the UK, France and the US. She has a first class degree in Wildlife and Environmental Photography and an MA in Wildlife Documentary Production. She teaches a variety of photography courses, workshops and one-to-ones to both adults and children. At City Lit she currently teaches Beginners Photography, Creative Nature Photography, Mindful Photography and Creative Wildlife Photography in London Parks. Rachel produces personal photography projects, sometimes in collaboration, e.g. with the Royal Air Force on a project about the women who took part in the Battle of the Atlantic. This was displayed in central Liverpool and the docks during the commemorations. Rachel fosters a warm and empathic environment in her class so that students feel supported by each other and are encouraged to explore their creativity with an emphasis on skills development, wellbeing benefits and having fun!
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.