Make your own comic book
Time: 14:00 - 17:00
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: VK454
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
What is the course about?
Learn about the vibrant world of making and self publishing mini comics and fanzines. You will explore the work of key comic and fanzine artists and create your own innovative publication.
You will contribute to a collective class comic publication and participate in the vibrant underground movement of mini comics and fanzines. A great opportunity to communicate your visual and narrative ideas with the world.
What will we cover?
- The form and function of mini comics and fanzines
- Inspirational work of historical and contemporary key comic and fanzine artists
- Planning a short comic narrative
- Different methods of drawing, mark making and collage
- Researching and using a range of design techniques to create page layouts
- Explore dynamic relationship of text and image
- Different methods for creating text
- Printing your fanzine.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand the form and function of mini comics and fanzines
- Have an awareness of the work of some key comic and fanzine artists
- Undertake visual research
- Plan your own short comic narrative
- Plan the design of a mini comic or fanzine
- Prepare your mini comic or fanzine work for printing.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners course.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, hand-outs and for health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, tutorials, group and individual assistance and hand-outs. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in Animation, Cartooning, Digital arts, Film, Graphics, Illustration, Photography and Web design.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a sketch book to record visual ideas, some black fineliner pens (medium to thick) and a memory stick. All other materials will be provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Develop your skills further with VK401 Drawing for comic books, VF502 Drawing caricatures, VG272 Photoshop: stage 1 or VG282 Photoshop: stage 2. You can also compliment your illustration skills with a range of courses in illustration, Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and InDesign.