Making a mini protest banner
Time: 17:30 - 20:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: VO186
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
What is the course about?
On this course you will be given an insight into the history of textile protest banners and how these influence the Craftivism movement of today. Using these as inspiration you will design your own mini banner focusing on an issue that is close to your heart. You will be taught hand stitch and appliqué as a way to express your concerns.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Session 1: You will be shown a Powerpoint of examples of textile protest banners and introduced to the concept of Craftivism. You will discuss ideas and the design for your mini protest banner.
Session 2: You will be shown how to transfer your design onto fabric. You will be shown how to do applique and different stitches appropriate for stitching text.
Session 3 & 4: Individually work on your mini protest banner with tutor assistance as and when needed. In the last session you will share your finished piece with your peers and receive feedback.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Discuss how textile banners have been used to raise awareness about political issues through time.
- Learn and practise applique techniques and hand stitches suitable for stitching text.
- Work towards producing a small mini textile banner incorporating your own text.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is designed for complete beginners and for learners who have some experience of stitch.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Learners will be expected to join and participate in activities posted on the shared Google Classroom. Full details of this will be provided on enrolment and a reminder email sent out 3 days before the course starts.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
- Thread (this could be stranded embroidery cotton and/or pearle)
- Needles suitable for hand embroidery (make sure you have different sized eyes so you can accommodate different thicknesses of thread).
- Selection of different medium weight woven cotton fabrics (avoid fabric with stretch).
- An embroidery hoop.
- Fabric pen.
- Embroidery scissors
- A4 paper and pencil
- You will be taught using Zoom for the live sessions with your tutor. You will receive an email 2.5hrs before your session starts with details of the live session link. Please be aware you will need to check your email address associated with your account within this window. Please amend and delete as suitable
- We use Google Classroom E-learning platform which will store all tasks/notes/resources/ demo videos You will need to login into our Google classroom before each sessions starts.
- You will need a computer or laptop. Ideally with a fully updated google Chrome browser.
- Using headphones with microphones will block out all room noise in sessions.
- If you are using a tablet or mobile device you will need a microphone, and optionally a camera.
- You will require a good broadband connection as mobile data 3G/4G or a mobile dongle will not provide sufficient Bandwidth for live sessions.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Have a browse of our other Embroidery, stitch and surfaces courses on the links above.
Lara Hailey is a textile artist and educator. Lara studied at Goldsmiths college and has taught at a number of London colleges, galleries and museums. She has exhibited her work throughout the UK and been involved in curating and facilitating community art projects.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.