Monteverdi and the musical Baroque
Time: 15:20 - 17:30
Location: KS - Keeley Street
knowledge necessary. This course has a scheduled break week on 26 October 2021.
Course Code: MD022
Duration: 10 sessions (over 11 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course will provide students with a greater understanding and appreciation of Monteverdi’s music and the development of the Baroque style.
What will we cover?
- Biographical details of Monteverdi
- case studies of key works, placing them in their appropriate context, historically and musically, and analysing them in terms of their musical style and content
- emergence of the Baroque and identification of Baroque musical characteristics.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Identify the key stages in Monteverdi’s life
- recognise the importance that Monteverdi had on the development of the musical Baroque
- identify the formal, harmonic and melodic characteristics of certain key works by Monteverdi.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is designed as an overview for both beginners and enthusiasts. However, we will look at some music manuscripts and learn to identify key features of music notation (how many voices are singing, etc…) so this course will be most suitable for those who are curious and ambitious to learn.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Sessions will comprise combinations of lecture, discussion, quizzes, guided listening, video and score study.
- You will be encouraged to do extra reading outside class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You may also wish to purchase some of the music books or recordings discussed in class.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
To find out more about music history classes Music history courses in London and online which lists our full programme of classes ordered by term, and by day of the week. You may then click on each title to read the full course outline.