Motion graphics with Adobe After Effects
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Enhance and transform your video projects and develop key skills for professional or personal work.
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: VK565
Duration: 6 sessions (over 6 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course is designed for those who want to develop their motion design skills and portfolio for potential professional commissions. On this course you will learn the key skills in using After Effects to transform your video projects with animated graphics, text and SFX. This includes preparing your assets, understanding the workflow, animating 2D and 3D transformations of images and text, creatively compositing footage using masks, keying and trackmatting applying a range of effects and rendering your work as movies. Each week the course takes you through a set of practical exercises that help you to develop these key skills and create engaging work, invaluable for your showreel.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Asset preparation in photoshop
- Animating transformations in 2D and 3D
- Compositing using green screen Keying, track mattes and masking techniques
- Animating text using paths, presets and range selectors
- Adding and animating camera and lights
- Rendering your work with appropriate format and codec.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Plan, prepare and organise your assets for an After Effects project
- Create projects and compositions and import assets
- Apply and animate a range of 2D and 3D transformations to video, image and text layers
- Apply and animate a range of effects to video, image and text layers
- Create and animate masks
- Compositing using Keying and Track mattes
- Create and animate camera and lights
- Render, back up and archive your project.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a fast paced beginners course ideally suited to those who have some experience in design, illustration or film making.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught with demo exercises, short lectures, practical exercises, and tutorials. Resources and handouts will be shared via zoom sessions and through google classroom.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to have Adobe After Effects and Photoshop uploaded and functioning on your computer for the duration of the course. You also will need Photoshop in order to practice the techniques involved in preparing assets for use in After Effects.
You will receive an email at least 2.5hrs before your session starts with details of the live session link. Please be
aware you will need to check your email address associated with your account within this window.
We use Google Classroom E-learning platform which will store all your notes and resources for the class. You will
need to login into our Google classroom before each session starts.
You will need a computer or laptop. Ideally with a fully updated google Chrome browser.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can develop your animation skills further with VK413 City Lit Animation course.
You can also develop your After Effects skills and a personal project in the VK605 After Effects personal project course.
City Lit offer a range of courses in After Effects, Editing, video and DSLR film making, editing, sound, digital and stop motion 2D and 3D Animation and an array of design and illustration courses to enhance your motion design practice.